Adjusting bass mid and treb

Flash

Hey guys, using Sonar 4 producer here. I have a song that has 12 tracks. Most of them were recorded at diff. times. Now listening to the song I wish the rythum guitar track had a little more bass and the lead guitar a little less bass. How can I fix this? I was looking at the Parametric EQ but I don't think that's what I want. What am I missing here? I use the Delta 1010 and a Mackie 1604-VLZ PRO. I'd like to use the Mackie for mixing but the only way I can see to do that would be to buy another Delta 1010. Then possibly I could mix 14 tracks????? Don't know if that would work though. Any input.....thanks

I think a parametric eq *is* what you want. You just need to discover how to cut/boost around specific frequencies.

Alright then.......How do I learn how to use it? Why can't they just have 3 knobs for more or less treb, more or less mid, or more or less bass? All I see is high pass, low pass, F1, F2 ........ Don't make no sense to me. Is there someplace in the manual that explains this besides page 374? What am I missing?

What's treble?
What's bass?

Do a search in these forums. This has been discussed many times. Someone pointed out an excellent magazine article that discusses everything you want to know about eq. It may have been in Tape Op, I don't recall offhand.

Do a search, that's always cool to say. I've done a few searches...one thread turned into people talking about homo's another more bullshit and more bull on top of that. Can't anyone just explain how to use Parametric EQ in sonar 4? Or direct me to a good thread that really explains it.

It sounds like you need to understand eq before you even begin worrying about how to use a parametric eq.

Here's an article to get started, although there are a million others out there. http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/eq/2.asp

Once you understand the concept of frequencies, and how they affect the sound, you'll have a better base of knowledge from which to understand the adjustment controls on the parametric eq.

Generally a parametric eq allows you control three variables: the frequency that you want to control, how much boost or cut you want to apply to that frequency, and the Q - which is how "wide" a sound range that will be affected by your adjustment (e.g., 1/3 octave, 1 full octave, 2 octaves, etc.).

The Q control is a little perplexing when you start, so you might just want to set it at 1.4 (1 octave) to begin with. Higher settings narrow the range of control, and lower settings broaden it. You can see that visually on the graph within the parametric eq.

When you mix, think of sound like one big jigsaw puzzle:

left-right - panning and delay
Front to back - level, reverb and delay
Top to bottom - frequency (bass= bottom, Treble =top).

Each instrument and sound has to occupy its own "space" otherwise it sounds muddy.

Dachay's recommended reading on the subject will help you understand how eq works- but only your ears can be the real judge ;)

dachay2tnr, thanks for the artical. I have one lying around here somewhere very similar to it. I need to get better organized. Actually, what I was looking for, was right in front of my face. The Graphic EQ. has done what I was wanting to do. I have had a sinus infection from hell and I guess I wasn't thinking straight.

Back