Adjusting action on an electric, maybe...

fritsthegirl

Taste of home
I want to do a bit of slide guitar but I think the action on my electric is a little too low. I'm getting loads of buzzing on some strings. I think the action is the problem. I don't have the same problem on my acoustic. Granted, my skills are virtually zero with slide, but from what I've read about it, the higher the strings are the better the sound.

I've checked out a few you tube videos and it looks simple enough but I'm wondering if it takes more than a good ruler and a systematic approach?

Should all strings be exactly the same height from the fret? If yes, then my guitar is most definitely not set up properly. If they don't have to be the same height, let's just say my guitar's action is set up correctly. Is it as simple as turning every screw the same amount of quarter turns on each string? Or does each turn I make, affect the height of the other strings by some random amount?

I think each string has a different tension so I reckon some strings will require more turning to reach the same height anyway. But I'm really not sure. Obviously I'll look into this with a bit more detail before starting.

For now, I'm just wondering if it's worth the bother. If it's going to take ages and potentially be difficult to undo if I screw it up, I think it's best for me not to touch it. But if it's akin and not too much more difficult than restringing a guitar, then I might give it go.

I want to do a bit of slide guitar but I think the action on my electric is a little too low. I'm getting loads of buzzing on some strings. I think the action is the problem. I don't have the same problem on my acoustic. Granted, my skills are virtually zero with slide, but from what I've read about it, the higher the strings are the better the sound.

Which buzzing is this? Having the action too low playing slide can result in the slide rattling on the frets, that's from where the recommendation for raising it up hails.

I've checked out a few you tube videos and it looks simple enough but I'm wondering if it takes more than a good ruler and a systematic approach?

Not really. In a pinch, you can omit the ruler. It's not rocket surgery.

Should all strings be exactly the same height from the fret?

It's not important. I find the bass strings are more prone to rattling, and raise them a bit more than the treble side. You can shoot for setting everything the same if the feel bothers you.

Is it as simple as turning every screw the same amount of quarter turns on each string? Or does each turn I make, affect the height of the other strings by some random amount?

Depends on the bridge.

I think each string has a different tension so I reckon some strings will require more turning to reach the same height anyway. But I'm really not sure. Obviously I'll look into this with a bit more detail before starting.

Tension shouldn't be a factor, the screws are mechanically raising the bridge or saddle, at a rate determined by the thread's pitch.

For now, I'm just wondering if it's worth the bother. If it's going to take ages and potentially be difficult to undo if I screw it up, I think it's best for me not to touch it. But if it's akin and not too much more difficult than restringing a guitar, then I might give it go.

You can always put it back easy enough, just check my first point. If this is some sort of string buzz, not rattling the frets (or partially fretting while sliding, come to think of it), then there may be nothing to gain.

You'll probably need to raise the action a good bit to get started. Once you get a feel for it, you'll be able to play with a lower action. I have a couple guitars set up for slide, but they're not that much higher than my regular guitars. The main difference is a bit heavier gauge strings.

There is a thing called a nut extender that fits over your regular nut and would solve the string height issue without changing the bridge, etc. just loosen the strings and fit the extender over the nut, then tune back up. You wouldn't be able to play regular guitar with that in place, though.

+1 on the nut extender. easy and quick fix. You'll not get where you want to be adjusting the bridge/saddles/truss rod due to the simple fact that none of these will signifigantly effect string height at the first few frets.

Hey thanks guys. I think I'll see about one of those nut extenders. I did wonder if just adjusting the strings would get them high enough. I myself had pondered if there was something I could just slot under the strings to raise them. But see someone has invented such a thing already. Kewl. :)

Most people will have a guitar set up for slide and leave it at that. To chop and change from a slide setup to a normal setup is not that simple.

Why not bag cheap ebay guitar and set it for slide. Pretty much any box that holds together and plays without scratching and hum will do.

Most people will have a guitar set up for slide and leave it at that. To chop and change from a slide setup to a normal setup is not that simple.

Why not bag cheap ebay guitar and set it for slide. Pretty much any box that holds together and plays without scratching and hum will do.

Good idea. I've actually got a little 3/4 acoustic that I rarely play anymore, I could get that nut extender on that, string it up with some steel strings again (it's got nylon at the moment so my little niece could play it). Sounds kind of little, but it's probably pretty perfect for slide and the sound I want.

Careful putting steel strings on something designed for Nylon strings. You will be placing a whole lot of extra stress on the thing.....

Careful putting steel strings on something designed for Nylon strings. You will be placing a whole lot of extra stress on the thing.....

Oh yeh, oh my God, that would be bad, playing away with my slide all happy and stuff when suddenly the neck snaps off. It was/is a steel neck/string guitar originally so should be cool. :guitar:

OK, So when you restring it you can shim under the saddle and the nut to raise the action to what you want it to be for slide.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. Looking forward to having my old mate set up for slide. Going to buy the nut thing on Friday. An acoustic recording will sound better for slide than the electric I think, more old style. I certainly wouldn't have come up with it if I hadn't received the answers I did. So, thanks again.

I recently purchased a couple of nut extensions (they were only about $4 each - through Stew-Mac) They are really more designed to turn a standard guitar into a lap steel. They really raise the height of the strings to such a level that it makes it impractical to try to actually fret strings with your fingers - which in turn means you have to play only with a slide.

I prefer to play a combination of finger fretting and slide - so I want my action a little higher than a shread player would want - but low enough to be able to finger fret, use barre chords, etc.

I can play lap steell - so the nut extensions won't go to waste - but I was surprised that the nut extentions compromised normal fretting as much as they do.

I went all up and down Denmark St (London) asking for a nut extender. Seriously 6 guitar shops, 6 guitar guys...'do you sell nut extenders?' :facepalm:

5 of them didn't even know what I was talking about, one thought it was funny and quirky. No one sold them.

I finally landed in the basement workshop of Hanks, where I got an interesting lecture about how nut extenders were pretty shit and that I should mod my guitar with a proper bespoke screwed in nut thing for £25+.

No doubt he was right and knew what he was talking about. But being tight wad, I listened to all of his advice, thanked him gratefully. Then went home to buy myself a brass nut extender online for £10. I will see how it goes.

It's no doubt better to get something that's completely fixed to the guitar at a height that you think is good for what you want to do with it. But I don't even know what I want to do with it at this stage. It's only for a bit of fun. I'll always be playing in open tuning, so fretting won't be an issue.

I can play lap steell - so the nut extensions won't go to waste - but I was surprised that the nut extentions compromised normal fretting as much as they do.

I do love the sound of slide guitar. Really love it. Do me a favour and send me a link to your slide skills?

I went all up and down Denmark St (London) asking for a nut extender. Seriously 6 guitar shops, 6 guitar guys...'do you sell nut extenders?' :facepalm:

5 of them didn't even know what I was talking about, one thought it was funny and quirky. No one sold them.

I finally landed in the basement workshop of Hanks, where I got an interesting lecture about how nut extenders were pretty shit and that I should mod my guitar with a proper bespoke screwed in nut thing for £25+.

No doubt he was right and knew what he was talking about. But being tight wad, I listened to all of his advice, thanked him gratefully. Then went home to buy myself a brass nut extender online for £10. I will see how it goes.

It's no doubt better to get something that's completely fixed to the guitar at a height that you think is good for what you want to do with it. But I don't even know what I want to do with it at this stage. It's only for a bit of fun. I'll always be playing in open tuning, so fretting won't be an issue.

I do love the sound of slide guitar. Really love it. Do me a favour and send me a link to your slide skills?

The basement shop you mentioned. Stay away and never leave your guitar there...

The basement shop you mentioned. Stay away and never leave your guitar there...

You had a bad experience with them? I never even knew that guitar workshop was down there. I just wasn't willing to spend £25 and go through the hassle of lugging my guitar into town just to do a bit of a joke sliding on my guitar. :D

You had a bad experience with them? I never even knew that guitar workshop was down there. I just wasn't willing to spend £25 and go through the hassle of lugging my guitar into town just to do a bit of a joke sliding on my guitar. :D

Can't say too much but as a luthier in the area I get to hear and see a lot of horror stories and I've drawn a sharp intake of breath on many occasions when I have heard what he is charging and seen what has been done.

You have to watch out for the younger guys working in guitar shops, they don't seem motivated to learn much. They change a few sets of strings, do a few setups, glue a couple nuts and POW!--they think they're Dan Erlewine's nephew.

There's something to be said for referencing the internet, but having some real knowledge lets you think on your feet.

Can't say too much but as a luthier in the area I get to hear and see a lot of horror stories and I've drawn a sharp intake of breath on many occasions when I have heard what he is charging and seen what has been done.

You live/work in London too? I got the extender in the mail. Put it on straight away. It works brilliantly, just perfect. :D

You live/work in London too? I got the extender in the mail. Put it on straight away. It works brilliantly, just perfect. :D

I used have my workshop in London years ago but now live and work just North of London. I visit regular to pickup and drop off stuff and do quite a few gigs around north and east London. I spent a lot of time both as a student and as a lecturer in London over the years also..

Back