Adjust octave live on kick only

marchvet

I am fairly new to Ableton and trying to figure out how to adjust the octave on a kick in a drum rack kit. Being new I tried to ask around on another forum but they only replied "read the manual" or learn the basics. I have been learning and reading but its been weeks now for this one thing. I have no idea where to look or even start.

Basically I just want to adjust the octave on a kick while making a beat. The kick is in operator but I have messed with a lot of the settings and still nothing. I know in Maschine you can select the pad you want and then click the keyboard option, but I am truly stuck in Ableton on how to do it.

There has to be a easy way to do this?

I don't know Ableton (I just happened to see this post in the "What's new" section), but I have to ask...what do you mean by "adjust the octave" on a kick drum?

I ask because, I've been playing drums for over 40 years, been recording for over 20 and I have never heard the term "adjust the octave", especially on a drum.

What do you mean by "Octave"? Do you know what an "octave" is?

I'm not trying to be difficult but using the right terms will help you get help. Right now, a lot of people might read your question and say to themselves "That doesn't even make sense".

I am fairly new to Ableton and trying to figure out how to adjust the octave on a kick in a drum rack kit. Being new I tried to ask around on another forum but they only replied "read the manual" or learn the basics. I have been learning and reading but its been weeks now for this one thing. I have no idea where to look or even start.

Basically I just want to adjust the octave on a kick while making a beat. The kick is in operator but I have messed with a lot of the settings and still nothing. I know in Maschine you can select the pad you want and then click the keyboard option, but I am truly stuck in Ableton on how to do it.

There has to be a easy way to do this?
I too am not sure what you mean by change octave live. Samples in drum rack are drag and drop. Easiest is to just find a kick you like the sound of and swap. If you want two different kick sounds, drop a second on another pad. Short of this, there are a bunch you can do to the sample, just not sure you can do it as a midi event aka live.
If you expand the drum rack out there are two windows. The sample window has a transpose knob, again don't know if it can be automated. I like the layout and current function of my midi controllers so not going to experiment. Don't know what you are using for pads and knobs.

Here is a screen shot of the sample window. You can slice, dice, chop, maul and otherwise transform them.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 5.03.36 PM.png

If you select controls in the upper right corner of the sample window, there is the controls tab for even more fun. One neat trick is to add an LFO to really beef up a kick sample.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 5.03.14 PM.png

If what you are looking for isn't in there, I can't help you much further. This seemingly toy like interface hides some really powerful features. I'm still figuring it out. Couple of good Udemy courses for Ableton. Catch one on sale for about $13-$15.

Last edited:
Back