Adding laptop to "standalone" setup

ditnoj

Howdy.
My present set up is an akai dps16, triton classic, dbx 286A, event PS6's, senn. e835, SP c1, burner, consumer tape deck, consumer cd deck. I'm not great (yet) but I pretty much know my way around my rig, etc.

What I want to do is add a laptop (a decent one) for some editing purposes, mastering programs and/or plugs, video editing, a little on location recording, and so that I can have my own 'puter for my other work and the family can use the other one (don't ask! OK, I know you will: PIII 450, NON-atx, integrated sound and video "chips" on the motherboard which is a PC100 SystemBoard with only 1 PCI slot!)

I was looking at Powerbook vs. vaio vs. dell Inspiron. However since I think that Vegas (the 4.0 that's not audio or video but simply "vegas") is the program I will probably start with since it's made for audio and made for video, the Mac is out (correct me if I'm wrong!)

So:
1) ANY user opinions on the dell vs. the vaio (or other experience doing this kind of stuff on another brand)
2) with an ezbus, 428, or somesuch can I also get MIDI in and out of the 'puter?(i.e. do a MIDI sequence into the 'puter wherever I am and then send the MIDI data from the 'puter to the triton to use its sounds)In other words, does the MIDI go in via USB?
3) Am I missing something with this list?
laptop w/firewire, USB 2, 512MB, at least 40g at 5400
external USB2 or firewire 80g at 7200
Vegas 4.0 (for a start)
Event ezbus or tascam 428 (any of y'all using something else for an interface?)
Oh yeah, a camera!

thanks in advance
D out ITNOJ

Well.....

1. The Vaio is going to cost a lot more than the Dell.

2. You could use a USB Midisport 2X2 for your MIDI.

www.midiman.net

3. You could purchase a FULLY BLOWN OUT desktop system for the price you are going to pay for a single laptop. :eek:

Peace...

spin

thanks for the quick reply spinsterwun, I was still on the net.

vaio vs dell $: point extremely well taken, I knew that, but I'm also not interested in having problems with whatever I get. I'd buy a Hyundai laptop if I was convinced it would work for what I need!

MIDIsport: are you saying that MIDI doesn't go via USB(via the ezbus or 428)? I'm going to need the audio interface, anyway.

fully blown out desktop: I've thought about it 1000 times, but for the rest of what I need (I travel a good bit, sometimes to places with no electricity, I work in different places: home, church, other folks homes, other folks churches, office, etc.) the laptop is pretty much necessary right now.

Well could get a rack mount PC case, load it into your shock case and use it to DJ, sequence and record.. I'd just get a flat screen and 99mghz wireless keyboard and mouse.

If youre going to do laptop, get ya a big harddrive and a Creative Labs Extigy USB soundcard and diasble the onboard one.. most laptops only support 16bit sound.

"Well could get a rack mount PC case, load it into your shock case"

Not exactly portable or carry-on! Let alone suitable for working while traveling on a bus!

"If youre going to do laptop, get ya a big harddrive and a Creative Labs Extigy USB soundcard and diasble the onboard one.. most laptops only support 16bit sound."

If the file goes in digital, stays digital, and comes out digital (dithered or not) the onboard sound card should only affect what comes out the on board D/A's, right? that is my file stays 16, 24, or whatever it went in. Correct me if I'm wrong. and wouldn't I be monitoring out through my interface (via USB and also digital)?

D out ITNOJ

Back