Added Cloudlifter - Now picking up radio frequency?

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I am appreciative, but very confused about what I should do lol. Right now I am buying some new cables that are much shorter so I've got less coiled around and overlapping and whatnot, it seems to get worse or better depending on if the xlr cables are overlapping or coiled.

Given that I am both an idiot and someone who lives in an apartment, what should I do next if the cables don't make a difference?

Edit: And on the Mexico AM frequencies, I am only about 15-20 min from the border. :-/

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I am appreciative, but very confused about what I should do lol. Right now I am buying some new cables that are much shorter so I've got less coiled around and overlapping and whatnot, it seems to get worse or better depending on if the xlr cables are overlapping or coiled.

Given that I am both an idiot and someone who lives in an apartment, what should I do next if the cables don't make a difference?

Edit: And on the Mexico AM frequencies, I am only about 15-20 min from the border. :-/
In order: Try to establish that the problem definitely is the Cloud Lifter by, as I said, cranking the gain on the 2i2 and boosting the signal digitally. You will need to cover the microphone with layer of say a duvet to keep extraneous noise down.

If you can prove the CL to be the problem, email them and ask for help. If it is the F'rite picking up the RFI talk to them.

Try some ferrite absorbers but, until you learn to solder XLR connectors you will need to seek out some 'clip on' ones*.

If all else fails, try the XLR filter then there are other cascade mic amps. I have use a Fet Head without issue. there is the 'Dynamite' (order that in a plain wrapper!)

*I shall see if I can find you a link. The above looks good. Pretty cheap so buy a few. You wind the mic to CL cable in it and clamp it.

Dave.

Last edited:
If it worked, then job done! Throw the old ones away after you have opened them up and investigated why they worked like antennas!

Cables are consumables. I have no idea of the branding - just that the cable will come from one of a few sources, which changed over the years and connectors will be Neutrik, or lately one Chinese source I found easy to fit and reliable. The cable I've been buying recently comes from Thomann in Germany, and before that, Canford Audio's HST. I see no point in buying any of the over priced clever stuff with lofty claims. The price has been going up for a long time steadily.

Are the new Mogami cables the same length as the Toutek ones? If not and especially if they are shorter this might be the reason they are fixing the RFI problem and not necessarily any better quality of the Moggies. I HATE throwing cables out! But even if you do at least chop the connectors off and save those. I would leave about 300mm in each XLR, never know when you might need to make up a 'special'!

Dave.

They are shorter, I had read either here or somewhere else that that might be helpful.

I'm hesitant to think I'll ever be brave enough to chop one up or try to do any cord work myself, but I will hang on to them as a "just in case", so who knows.

I chopped a cable up in 1974 when still at school, and I joined it to a different one to solve a problem - XLR to jack. I used block connectors and insulation tape. I hadn't at that time leaned to solder. I found it a few weeks ago - and it was a real mess (by current standards) but it still worked on the tester. Not bad for a 40yr + bodge!

Sometimes you can just be unlucky with RF interference - a cable exactly the electrical length to make it a good antenna is just bad luck, not really a fault.

"Sometimes you can just be unlucky with RF interference - a cable exactly the electrical length to make it a good antenna is just bad luck, not really a fault."
Well, yes and no Rob! The reason cable length can be a factor is because RF does not behave like audio*. Along any given length of cable there will be maxima and minima voltages and you can be lucky or unlucky whether the end of the cable is at one or tother. SOMETIMES an extra mtr or two of cable FIXES RFI! However, IMHO no matter the 'accidental cause' audio equipment should be made immune to RF, it is not as though it cost a great deal to do it. As I mentioned, there can be cases where field strengths are SO high that almost nothing can be done but such cases are very rare. (often a military installation where you will get NO help at all!)

*If audio cables get long enough then signals do become subject to the physics of RF but even 20kHz has a wavelength of 15clicks so we hardly need to worry! Telephone systems (annyloggy ones) need to be 600 Ohms 'power matched'. Where yer "dBu" started life.

Also, where you have very serious RFI problems you can use a '600 Ohm' send transformer and a '10k 10k line bridging' transformer at the receiving end with an interwinding screen. ALWAYS kept such beasties in the gig bag for PA work.

Dave.

How did you guys learn all this stuff? Did you just pick it up along the way or did you ever take any course work/apprenticeships? I recently got a tip to a few local studios that offer engineering classes that I'm looking into.

How did you guys learn all this stuff? Did you just pick it up along the way or did you ever take any course work/apprenticeships? I recently got a tip to a few local studios that offer engineering classes that I'm looking into.
How long have you got? In 1961 aged 16 I started as an apprentice to a radio and TV family business, a year later I started a combined R&TV and electronics service engineers day release course at my local technical college. Lapped it all up, I had always been interested in science and had dabbled, DANGEROUSLY! with electricity now I was getting a formal education.
Back then everything was valves, transistors came in in the early 60s but only those feeble Germanium types and in piddling little radios. We had very little bother with RFI with valve gear. The rot set in with the development of the Silicon Planar Transistor, even the 'audio' types (google BC107, BC214L) had plenty of gain left at 100MHz!

My interest polarized on audio, recording, PA, hi fi, never got into 'ham' radio or CB. But as you learn science, things form patterns, did you know for instance that directional antennas and directional loudspeakers share similar math?

Get some good books. You cannot trust the internet!

Dave.

I thought I wanted to to work with radios, so studied at college, got a job and hated it, started to sell and rent audio equipment, then got into commercial video which was just starting, became a radio ham and, on the side I carried on doing music, tv, live sound and video with my own little business and working full time on the sales thing. Went into a college for a one day session teach the students video production, got offered a job if I could qualify as a teacher, did that, and two years later was a real teacher, media studies then turned into music technology as it was new. Cubase on an Atari 520 in black and white. Became a course leader, started examining music technology and performing arts. Became the principal examiner for the UK, got promoted at college into management, hated it, so I left and reopened my old business, got a call a few hours later asking if it was true I’d left education. An hour later I was a theatrical company manager and that takes up maybe four months a year. I put shows on for another chunk of the year, and I joined a tribute band and toured the UK, Europe and the Arab states. In between that, and keeping me going during covid was my original career intention as a radio man. I sell radios to boat owners, hams and businesses. It’s ultra boring and dull, but fills the years up. Until maybe ten years ago and I left school in the 70s, music rarely made me much money, then it increased and I now get a steady but fairly low amount of royalties trickling in. Looking back, everything was fun for a few years but all my career changes came when you start to get promoted away from what you do easiest and best. I’m a really good manager and the education thing really helps you work with people, but moving from what you do best is always a bad move. Fifteen years of writing courses and setting up systems to examine them revealed that education is not about learning any more, it’s about money. Being told to wreck a great course because it’s too expensive to deliver, examine and verify kills you. I can look back at students of mine who have done amazingly well, but then you start to see success start to drop off as the years change. They always say every year people get better, but the exams get easier, or have less breadth. I still get the emails from current teachers and examiners and the courses now are pathetic and so shallow. All research is internet, so no substance, and misinformation is rife. One exam season just before I stopped, I changed a date on wiki by a year. When was MIDI introduced. After the exam, I put it back. I went to a college to check some standards of teacher assessment. They showed me some wonderful work graded top of the class. They asked what my impression was. I said it was excellent, but a shame the student had spelled luminaire ‘luminary’ on the next page, that we had not seen yet. Confused they turned over and thee it was. Stolen from one of my own web sites! What are the chances of that, stealing the principal examiner’s own words? The parents appealed. She got her qualification. I left in disgust.

Thats me, and I’ve discovered working for myself is the most rewarding, but certainly if I had stayed in education I would now be much, much better off with a huge pension. I’ll take what I have and smile.

Back