ADAT XT-20 ERROR O1 ! Wont do anything, please help.!

parkbirds

Well,

I was rewinding to a location point, and all of a sudden, it shuts down, like as if you would park the heads. Then, I wonder what to do, so I try to eject. I was hoping it was just a small problem, so I turned it off, then back on... then...

It will not eject the tape, and it makes a funny sound and does not really do anything after about 4 seconds. I looked at the manual, and because it states there must be something wrong with the tape, I try to look inside. Since I bought the ADAT used from a guy, with no documentation, I figure I am not applicable for the warranty, so I opened her up....

The tape was a little loose, I did not really do anything to fix it, just looked, and closed her back up.

Well my question is... Can I fix this myself? Or, should I find a person to fix this for me. I really don't want to pay too much, but I don't want to break this tape ether. I’m generally good at fixing things, but anyway, Any suggestions?

This occurs if the tape didn't correctly pull out of the shell -- it may now be bound inside the machine...........

You can open it to see if the tape is easily unbound - be careful!

This can also be an issue with the load motor.

Once you remove it, try another (scratch!) tape to see if it was simply a bad tape/shell or if there is actually an issue with the loading mechanism/motor.

Well,...

I took it apart… Next to my 1980s VCR. I thought it would give me some insight on how to remove a cassette, and it did!

Well, after I got the tape out (which is not in the best shape now), I plugged it back in. Now it reads OUT 20, then makes the sound, then goes back to ERROR 01, just as it did before.

Well, a couple questions:

Does anyone know where there is an Alesis repair place in the Bay Area? How much does it cost to get an ADAT repaired? Does anyone know what that white gear between the two tape spinner things is? (sorry for my lack of vocabulary at the moment) But, I think that little white wheel is what is part of the problem.

And above all, if an ADAT tape is damaged in one area (no ripping or anything, just a little creased), does it at all affect the entire tape? Should I try to play that track I was working on again? Or is that a bad idea? Sorry I don't have a backup (I know, I know), and the tape is rather important to me.

Thanks Blue Bear!

Send it to Stan Jacox at the Studio Maintenance Centre... I send mine to him all the way from Ottawa, Canada - he does excellent work!

curious

Blue bear do you have any contact info for the Studio maintenance center? I really had some trouble trying to get repairs through alesis, i thought it might be good to have a backup place on file. Just curious.
thanks

Hey!!

Good, there is a repair place right next to me. How nice. Now for a couple more questions, sorry to be so bothersome.

*Does a little creasing in an ADAT tape ruin it? completely? In one part?

*How much does it cost to have an ADAT serviced, and something repaired, generally speaking?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Re: Hey!!

parkbirds said:
*Does a little creasing in an ADAT tape ruin it? completely? In one part?
Not necessarily - a section may be bad.... depending on where the crease is it may cause loading problems.........

parkbirds said:
*How much does it cost to have an ADAT serviced, and something repaired, generally speaking?
The Studio Maintenance Centre site has rates posted.........

Back