ADAT tape head cleaning?

giggsy

Hey all!
Does anyone have any good tips on how to clean the tape heads of a ADAT XT?
Alesis themselves recommend 3M ASD HC. Is that a good choice?

cheers,
giggsy

Be careful ...

I've heard bad things about the cassette head cleaners ... they are really harsh on the head ...even the ones recommended by Alesis. sonusman explained pretty well just how bad these cleaning cassettes can be in an old post here. Alesis probably recommends those calening tapes because it has potential to do less damage than someone who doesn't know what they are doing trying to open up the deck and clean the heads themselves. But it's easier than you may think. The heads are pretty easy to get to in an ADAT and to clean them you just need isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. If you try it, though, just BE CAREFUL ... ADAT headstacks are expensive .. like around $700 - $800 expensive.

I see that we lost some archive posts on homrec.com :(
...so here's a good link that describes a little on how to do it (with pictures)
http://www.tangible-technology.com/helical/swabbing.html

Good luck.

Thanks, BigKahuna.
I think I´ll clean it myself after clearing my head from the thoughts about how much a new head costs...

giggsy

YIKES!!! STOP!!! READ THIS FIRST!!!

Do not under ANY circumstances use ANY kind of alcohol to clean ADAT head stacks!!!

I am not at home so I can't check to see the name of the stuff you are supposed to use to clean head stacks, but it IS NOT alcohol!

Also, you can potentially do major damage to your ADAT headstacks by cleaning them yourself. You REALLY need to talk to Alesis tech support before you try this if you have not cleaned them before. They will give you all the warnings you need to be advised of.

If you ADAT's are still under Warrenty, take them to a authorized shop to have it cleaned. If you do any damage to the unit while cleaning the heads, Alesis will not repair/replace it for free.

Ed

Hey BK

Scuttlebutt has it that alcohol does not evaporate enough to keep the heads clean.

Hey, this is info I read a few years ago.

When I get back to Portland next week, I will post something on this. Right now, I just don't have the resources to advice. But definately, alcohol was not recommened for cleaning the head stacks.

Stay tuned....:) sonusman will make this right....:)

Ed

I found a geeky instruction video from Alesis on how to clean the heads and they recommend Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

I´m looking forward to hearing why I shouldn´t use alcohol.
Just started working in a studio with three ADAT´s and a BRC hooked up with a 02R so I´m sure any eventual info on this matter will help me a lot now and in the future.

cheers,
Giggsy

Almost forgot about this thread....sorry...

Okay....

I still remember reading that no alcohol products should be used on the ADAT tape heads.

The stuff I have is:

Isopropanol (67-63-0)
Ethanol (64-17-5)
Methanol (2.8%) (67-56-1)

It is a mixture, and I purchased it of all places, Radio Shack.

The cloths...:

You want Polyester Cellulose cloth. It is scratch free as well as lint free.

I also got these at RS, but it was the last of their supply (so I bought 2 packages) and they don't make them anymore. This kind of cloth is very hard to find. Trust me, I called around to every electronics place, and they all said I would have to order a lot of it to get it....:( I was very lucky to find it at RS, especially the last two they had!

Anything else, you take your chances. I have not found the documentation that I have that recommended these, but it was from Alesis over 3 1/2 years ago. If they changed their recommendations, well, okay.....

Ed

Hey Engineear,

that´s kinda what I thought too...

Anyway, my machines are running fine now. Had a friend clean them for me, hehehe.

Last but not least I recommend everyone to check out a copy of the Alesis tape head cleaning instruction video. It´s almost at the same high comedy level as Spinal Tap!

giggsy

The stuff you should NEVER use is rubbing alcohol (the stuff you put on cuts). It leaves resedue. Isopropal sold as cleaner made from alcohol and distilled water is fine.

adat cleaner

I read in an alesis tech thing off the web that you can use alcohol, but use the 99% stuff not the lesser like 75% because the rest(25%) is water. That is not good. I have also heard, dont know how true, that dont bother to clean the heqds unless there is a problem because the adat tapes leave or have a lubricating film that stays on the heads. Cleaning then too often removes it. I dont know how true that is though. Jim

Back