ADAT setup for computer editing

Steve West

What PC program and interfacing do I need to have my 2 ADATS (16 track) be run by my PC kind of like the BRC so I can cut and paste and index and all the good quick edit stuff. I would also be nice to store mix snap shots and setup automated mixes. My main thing is to be able to cut and drag parts with a mouse rather than doing the dreaded offset time thing right at the deck. To see what you are doing right on the PC screen would be nice.

Steve

You're able to do so, through a soundcard that has an ADAT lightpipe, such has E-MU 1212M, or MARIAN MARC A. You have some very good solutions also from RME and M-AUDIO, regarding sound cards.
After you get one of these all your problems will be solved, since you'll be able to connect the BRC and the ADAT's to your computer, using the BRC as the sync master.
After everything is on the computer, the cut and paste operations as almost every other aspect of editing, will be extremelly easy and with the benefit of being non destructive.
Regarding the software, you can try several ones, such as CUBASE SX, SONAR, NUENDO, etc. Just try them and see which one suits you the best.

Last edited:
This guy will get you there, but you'll soon realize that the Adats and the BRC are unnecessary then you'll have to get rid of them.

I know what you're thinking, "I like the Adats and I'm comfortable with them", it's okay, I said it, too.

Steve West said:
Do I need the BRC, or can I just interface the ADATS to the computer? Besides the sound card (like the Frontier Dakota), would I need something else?
I may be mistaken but I figure that you should be able to control the HD24 via midi from the PC. You can control the HD24 from a digital mixer so why not a PC? Surely Cubase SX or Sonar have this capability built-in but, I don't know.

Back