adat lx-20,why no elco connections?

epnotrem

Well, do i have a bone to pick with alesis???, Since i got the Alesis studio 32 in line recording console (very phat) as the mothership to my adat lx-20, as opposed to a digital mixer with lightpipe connection, i'm stuck with all unballanced connections. Although i've been converting to monster gold tipped plugs (1 plug at a time, there so damn expensive) i'm still using 3-- 8+8 1/4" hosa snakes. This makes things very limiting, as far as sound quality. I'm not very happy with whoever at Alesis is making decisions like this. However, I also use the micro, and midiverb 4's through my aux's. So......... i'm obviously an acclaimed alesis user.
Does anyone here have the lx-20? Have a similar connection (lx-20- to an analogconsole).????????????
Not much i can do now, is there? Is it worth the extra cash for the xt-20, elco conn., & editing features?

Er, ummm....that's what the XT20 is for!!!!!

The LX20 is a more budget-minded unit for the financially-impaired types...

The XT20 boasts a better transport, better converters, and more front-panel features... not to mention the choice of gain structures (+4/-10)..........

Why would you come down on Alesis for providing a less expensive solution for a certain market???

I don't buy a Chevy Cavalier then trash GM because they didn't make it a Cadillac!!!!!!!!!

*sheesh*

Bruce

fire...............

Well blue bear........... ., this is a more open minded approach than i should have concidered in my entry. At the time, (as with everyones final decision to buy a piece of gear) there was a fire in my wallet. Yes, even after i spent hour's getting prices & blah blah blah!!!!!. I probably could have saved a little more cash, or, waited a year or so to find a used xt for the same price.
Yea....... I'm very budget minded when it comes to buying gear. I mean, i make very good money and all, yet still sacrifice in other facets of life to be able to add to my project studio.
I could write a thread on this one but i'll make it brief.

Before i buy, i start out with the cheapest price i see in all the catalog's, then make the stores compete against eachother using the initial price, and 9 out of ten times, i've saved a good deal of money,

Just to clear things up in here, I'm perfectly happy with alesis. They've helped me create the sounds i make. I was aware of the non-elco, unballanced 1/4" in's and out's, no "track copy", no "track delay"- 5 less locate points, few other things. It work's well- & i make the most out of it (as with everything).
I thank ya's for the replies. Keepm coming.

There's nothing wrong with being budget-minded. I'm sure everyone here (even Bruce ;)) can relate to that.
Maybe you just underestimated the effect those unbalanced connections would have. If I were you, I'd forget about getting Monster RCA cables ... and trade up to an XT ... they're wicked cheap these days. While the monster cables are probably better than anything made by Hosa ... you'll still have to deal with unbalanced I/O ... and that's the real limitation.
Or get a digital console and use the light-pipe (it works for me). :) Probably cheaper and easier to get an XT, though.

Good Luck ...

Back