ADAT HD24 question...

kragbax

Well I'm not really a novice to recording, but my roots are in the old analog reel to reel trenches. I picked up a Tascam 2488 to get my feet wet in the digital realm and because I wanted 24 tracks. However, I haven't used it at all yet, namely because I'm still building my studio space. Anyhow, while I whittle away at my room, I start thinking about recording digital. I considered computer based... but because I work on PC's 8+ hours a day, I really don't want anything more to do with them on my off hours :) I've been checking out the 24 track HD recorders and if I went that route it's come down to the Alesis ADAT HD24 and the Mackie SDR2496. Namely because of price. I really like the look of the Mackie HDR2496, but I can't float that price.
So, two stupid questions. One is a rehash I'm sure but I figured any more opinions can only help me and others with this dilema... Most online retailers have the Mackie SDR at around $1299 new, and most offer Factory Resealed Alesis ADAT HD24's for the same price (new are closer to $1500). As mentioned, I (think I) love the Mackie HDR2496, but the B-stock price is $2000... way to high for my current budget - considering I'd still need to get a mixer. Any thoughts on the unit itself. Either one have a big advantage or setback compared to the other?
Secondly, suppose I go this route, getting rid of the 2488. Say I pick up the HD24 unit and a decent mixer (I've read a few digital ones are nice). I've got outboard Pre's, effects, compression, etc. What options would i have after recording a bunch of tracks to burn a CD? Would I feed Mixer outs to (eventually to) a Burner? Or should the raw tracks be imported to a PC 'mastering' tool for mixdown and buring on the PC? If the PC, what software is typically used (opinions) and would the PC require special hardware as well?

I ask because though I've been reading all kinds of things about these units, and I've read a lot of opinions comparing them, I haven't found much yet regarding the rest of the operation outside the HD unit itself and the mixer. Before I take the plunge and order up one of these, I'll need to know what else I'll need to purchase. I'd hate to sell the 2488, but the HD24 only to find out I'll need a new PC or a $600 CD Burner as well.

Thanks!

Just an addendum to my previous post. I'm still debating (with myself) over the Alesis HD24 and the Mackie SDR2496. The higher end models might be better, but $1200 is about my limit. (I considered the Fostex D2424LV as well).

I'm seriously leaning towards an analog mixer - I just like the feel of them and being able to touch actual buttons without having to navigate menu's and sub menu's. That being said, for a 24 track recorder - is a 24 channel mixer enough? (like a 24x8 Mackie). I seriously doubt I'd be recording more then a couple sources at one time. Most probably just one at a time actually. Is it just for convenience, ease of use, or actually necessity to get a 32 channel (a 32x8 Mackie is out of my price range. I could probably swing the Behringer MX3282. But I think I'd prefer the 24X8 Mackie over the 32x8 Berry if 24x8 won't be a huge impedience to recording/playback).

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

-Krag

After a boatload of research, I went with the Alesis unit and an analog mixer. I edit in the computer but all "mixing" is done with the console (a Tascam M3500). It works for me very well.

I bought my HD24 after I saw how expensive the mackie's were and I, as a rule, don't buy fostex gear. I've never looked back and if I could afford the max number of HD24's you can cascade, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Plus, before I bought it, I spent a good deal of time reading on the mackie hdr forum and the users didn't give me much confidence in the more affordable versions of the HDR. Thus, I am a happier man for it.

I use mine with a Behringer DDX3216, I should've bought a dynamite preamp instead but, I can mixdown and add dynamics and effects in return for the less that perfect pre's; it's not so bad.

The Yamaha O2R or O2R96 would be the perfect compliment to the HD24. Ebay has some good bargains sometimes on those. If analog is your thing, go with a soundcraft M series or Ghost. People around here sing the praises of those boards like Jesus is coming back to buy one.

I can't live without my HD24!

Later,
Chris

By the way, I use a Tascam CD Burner that cost me $500 to capture the stereo mixes. I can also use the S/PDIF out of the digital board to an ECHO MIA soundcard to record stereo mixes. You'd have to do that with the SDR2496 as well.

Chris

The Alesis Masterlink is a pretty convenient mastering deck.

Take a look at the options for importing and exporting .wav files on those recorders. I don't know the details on the Mackie and Alesis but having the option to easily transfer files should be a big factor if you have any intentions of sharing tracks with other studios.

The Mackie 24X8 is fine in conjunction with the HD24. It is built with all the ins and outs you need to record and playback all 24 tracks. You'd be able to record a track or two while playing back the other 22 with no sweat. I wish I had a 24X8. I'd consider ditching the DDX. But I can't afford one.

Well I've definitely decided to purchase the HD24. I'm getting a good deal on a new one. I'm very close to going with the HD24XR because I can get an outstanding deal on one new, but it would still be an additional $400 above the base HD model. That $400 can probably be better spent towards my still needed mixer, better pre-amp, or my dwindling bank account. If anyone has an opinion as to why the $400 price difference should be overlooked and to definitely go with the XR, let me hear it! Frankly I'll be recording my own stuff and doubt I'll need more then the regular HD24 can provide.

So with the HD unit decision out of the way, I'm still in a quandry over the mixer. As it currently stands with my limited funds, I'm debating the Mackie 24x8 (used) or a new Behringer DDX3216. Both would be about the same price. The used Mackie would come from an unknown source and I'm always leary about buying used equipment, especially if the units history is unknown, the seller is unknown, and there's basically no return/warranty. $900-$1000 may be a decent(typical) price on a used Mackie 24x8, but not if the one you end up with has been beat. That's basically $1000 down the drain or at least an expensive trip to the repair shop. Something we'd all like to avoid. Another temporary option might be to pick up a cheap Alesis Studio 32 and make due for a while till a better option comes along. Those can be had for a song these days. Trouble is it's really only a 16 channel mixer, right? I wouldn't need to record more then a couple inputs at a time, but would it even be possible to monitor all 24 tracks at once with one of those? I've read they were pretty good for home studios when ADAT's were the rage, but it might be rather useless with the HD24.

I've read on here a lot of positive remarks from people using the Berry DDX3216 with their HD24's. Course I've read at least one remark from someone saying they have the DDX and would prefer to sell it for the 24x8. For now, getting a hold of the Soundtracs, Ghost, etc. that have been mentioned - though a sweet idea - is an unreality. I'm limited to $1500 for the mixer - tops. The (new) Berry and (used) 24x8 can be had for $1000 or less currently.

Purchase of Mixer

Kragbax

Just wondering what mixer you finally went for dude? I also have an ADAT HD24 but I'm still debating between the Mackie ONYX or their VLZ 16 channel mixers.

Mark

You might also consider a Behringer MX9000 while you're looking at analog mixers. I know LOTS of guys in Portland that use individual mic pres, into an HD24 (or a stack of original ADATs) and then do their mixing through an MX9000. You can buy the MX9000 through Guitar Center for $775 (twist the salesman's arm). IMHO, it's a good, quiet, underrated project studio mixer, with TONS of routing flexibility, especially if you're planning to use outboard effects.

kragbax said:
If anyone has an opinion as to why the $400 price difference should be overlooked and to definitely go with the XR, let me hear it!

I have the stock HD24. The buzz on sites like Gearslutz is that the XR converters are well worth the price difference. Supposedly, they put it in the realm of the highest-end units like RADAR. Just passing on what I read there.

I was saving for the XR, then found a great deal on a used stock HD24. Paid $799 for it (like-new). So I will eventually buy the EC-2 upgrade kit which essentially upgrades the stock HD24 to the XR.

Great unit. By the way, I just import my files into Cubase. I would love an analog console, but my money is better spent on mics and pres at the moment.

Good luck with your decisions. :)

Back