ADAT blackface any good?

Prism

I am hoping some day to have at least two ADATs (linked for 16 tracks) and I am debating in my mind which is best. The blackface model is dated, I realize, but they are also remarkably affordable (eBay!), and have simple construction as far as I've been told...
On the other hand, we have the XT (silver face) and the LX. What are the big differences between these? Unless I am mistaken, I think the old blackface model only does 16 bit, and the newer ones possibly have 20 and 24 bit recording. Also, I noticed that the blackface model has 1/4" inputs and outputs, whereas the XT has RCA...what is the reason for them changing that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Isaiah

Both the LXs and XTs converters are 20-bit. The LXs are slightly inferior in that they use 64 times oversampling as opposed to 128 on the XTs. The XTs can be run at both gain structures -- +4dbU via ELCO connectors, or -10dbV via RCA. The LXs I beleive are RCA only. The XTs have a more robust transport system and more front-panel features.

Bruce

I was sort of leaning towards the XT... but it's nowhere as cheap as the used blackface models I've seen. Do you think it would be worth it to drop the extra $$$ and get the good stuff and forget the old blackface models?

Thanks,
Isaiah

All kinds of stuff... I really like acoustic instruments, but I'd also like to record some rock. I'm not into thrash metal or anything. I just want a little more than the 8 tracks that I have on my Tascam 688...and I want the quality of digital...cassettes just aren't as dependable as I'd like them to be. ADAT seemed like a good choice, as the media is portable (unlike hard drive recorders.. I like to avoid anything that doesn't use SOME type of tape...)

Isaiah

It would seem that you have made your choice doesn't it?

But a couple of ADAT's. I STILL use Type I ADAT's, with it's "horrible" 16 bit capabilities, and STILL get pretty damn good sounding recordings with them.

Ed

Well the blackface model certainly is appealing, so if anyone has any objections, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace!

16 bit may not be as great as 20 or 24 bit, but it's still gotta be a step up from cassette, for sure!
This will be nice because I can interface an ADAT deck almost seamlessly into my Tascam 688. My next steps in my home studio will probably be building a couple rooms, getting more mics, a compressor, a better reverb, and maybe another mixer for mixing down.

Isaiah

Rewind speed is another thing!

I have used both the older 16 bit blackface and the newer 20 bit LX20's. I don't notice any difference in sound quality, but the older blackface models rewind very slowly compared to the new ones!

I have linked one of each together and they work well, but when fast forwarding or rewinding the LX20 beats the old ones by quite a bit of time. so you have to be patient and wait for them to sync up.

I will probably buy another :LX20 soon.... Just FYI

Dom Franco

Well, like I said... it's still gotta be better than cassette! I just want something a little more durable and a little more precise. I think ADAT will definitely be a huge step up.

Isaiah

They use a different size tape than the lx or xt, so if you wanna mix somewhere else or your blackface blows up and you upgrade to the new adats the black face tapes wont work. Ok they will work, but do damage!

Well I don't plan on mixing anywhere else. If I ever upgraded to XTs, I'd probably still keep the blackface models.. I'm just too darn sentimental. :-D

Isaiah

Wallycleaver said:
They use a different size tape than the lx or xt, so if you wanna mix somewhere else or your blackface blows up and you upgrade to the new adats the black face tapes wont work. Ok they will work, but do damage!

This is entirely untrue Wallycleaver. I have swapped ADAT tapes between XT's and Type I's several times. What will work in one machine will work in another, EXCEPT that is you format the tape to 20 bit on the XT, it will not play back on a Type I.

The whole Porterhouse mix I did was recorded on XT 20's at 16 bit, but mixed using my Type I ADAT's.

Ed

Here's the story, a gentleman came in, wanted to mix black face tapes on xt's. Yes, they work, but after a couple days mixing, noticed some noise and such. take the tape at it and have a look, it's got a rough edge on it, not the smooth straight edge. Opened up the adat and there was a nice black line in it. It's diffent buy a mater of microns. Just my experience.

I would blame that on poor quality control of the tape manufacture.

SVHS is SVHS. I have seen pre-formatted tape for 20 bit, but it is the same tape as the 16 bit format stuff. I have re-formatted 20 bit to 16 and 16 to 20 and not experienced this problem.

I will say that BASF and Quandagy tapes have produced more problems for me then Maxell has. The Maxell Professional Series SVHS tape has served me very well for a few years now, and when something I record is important enough to justify the added effort of ordering it, I do so gladly.

Ed

hear hear

I've had major dropout and interpolation issues with BASF...not so much with Quanergy...but I'll try Maxwell next time.

RB

I've also had issues with BASF (bad tape, bad formatting, interpolation, etc...) - although, to be fair, they (Emtech) did replace the bad ones for me...

I also use the Maxell Broadcast stuff regularly and it's *never* failed... I almost never see interpolation errors with it...

Bruce

I remember we had a thread going in the Alesis forum over year ago concerning which tapes seemed to work best in ADAT's. Certain trends were definately displayed!

BASF and Quandagy seem to have some problems with consistency in quality.

Not a single person I have ever talked to has had problems with Maxell Professional Series SVHS tape! What is very cool too is that this tape is available from just about any video duplication house around, and the quantity that they buy in makes for some pretty good deals on the tape if you shop around a bit. Buy a box of 10 and save even more!

Ed

Blackface Experience

Gotta say that I think the Blackface Adats do just fine. Of course, I've been known to defend the honor of cassette multitrackers, too.

To hear some of my work with the Blackface, go to:
http://mp3.com/defenders

Back