ADAT and sound cards

cowboy812000

Hi,

I just purchased a used ADAT 8 track. I would like to import my recordings into my computer keeping all 8 tracks intact for back up, editing and burning the final mix to a CD. I have a pentium 166 with 128 meg of ram 2 hard disks a burner and a zip 250 drive. What is the best and cheapest sound card or interface I can get to achieve this? Thanks for the input

Cowboy, Bruce has you covered on a few soundcard choices but I have to point out, your computer might not be up to the task. A 166 is a pretty old processor. The machine I use just for surfing is a Pentium 200 and a few times just for giggles I loaded a multi track Vegas project into it and it spit up all over itself.

Thanks guys...yes I know its an old processor...I will be upgrading as soon as all the computer geeks have tired of their faster computers and need the latest and greatest. Its cheaper to be 2 years behind.

Just from my own personal experience, stay away from the ADAT Edit card. Now there are people here who've had wonderful experiences with this bad boy and a few like me who came close to a class action lawsuite. I went through two cards and bad tech support only to find out it wouldn't run on my computer. I have no hands on with the Lex.

I have a Terratec EWS88D and it kicks ass for ADAT i/o. But I think it's minimum req. is a PII 350.

Check out the Korg 1212. You can find them on ebay for less than $100 and they work with older processors. If you have an ISA slot, check out the Fronteir Wave Center card on ebay.
Creamware makes a card, but I don't know anything about it.
Event just released a card.. the EZ8 or something.

I also recently bought an ADAT (an old blackface) and I use the Delta 1010ai (for "ADAT Interface") in conjunction with my Delta 1010 soundcard and transfer all tracks at once into Sonar 2 with the optical cable. Works like a champ. But you WILL need a faster processor.

Back