AD/DA Converter advice

Frambo

Hey there Protools people

My friend and I are taking the big step into the world of Protools HD2. We've been using a Boss BR1600CD for 3 years but have no experience using computer software or the hardware etc that is required.

The equipment and specifications that I mention are from the information provided by the dealer.

Having got some professional advice we would also like to hear the opinions of Protools HD users concerning ad/da converters.

We have been told that the Pro Tools ad/da converters are 'average' and that the SSL Alphalink madi ax 24 Channel 24/96 are much better. However, the SSL is a lot more expensive and we dont need 24 channels immediately. We could work with one Protools 8 channel converter and then buy a second or third one if/when we need to have 16 or 24 channels. Having said this, we will spend the $ on SSL if it is going to be better quality.

By the way the Mac set up we have been recommended consists of:
Two 2.66Ghz dual core intel Xeon / 4 Gig Ram / 2 x Super Drive 1 x 250 and 1 x 750 gig HD / 30" Cinema Display / 23" Cinema Display Airport extreme and Bluetooth. Computer Apple protection plan.

There are big $$ to invest so we want to make an informed decision. We dont want to take shortcuts with the set up and find we have made problems for ourselves as we learn and grow into the system.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer advice on the converters ~ or has a comment about the computer components.

:)

I think the SSL converters would be slightly better than the converters in your HD rig but I also don't know that you'll be able to tell the difference. I'd get your Pro Tools rig up and running and record a few sessions, if you like what you hear, then there's no reason to go with anything else.

I think the computer is looking pretty good.

Good luck.

When i was shopping for my HD2 setup i was tempted to go the safe route and just buy the digi interfaces.

But after some research i just bought the apogee ad16x and the Apogee X-hd card. Excellent converters, and no need to even buy an interface. Plus the ad16x comes with a really nice Big Ben clock.

Then i needed to get out to the speakers so i picked up the apogee Mini-Dac which is just a 2 output top of the line D/A converter for my speakers. This unit can be fed via Aes, or Optical from the Ad16x.

Since i have no interest in mixing on an analog console this was the best choice no doubt.

If youre into using a board and want better conversion id look into picking up one the Aurora 16 I/O units. Excellent conversion with 16 ins and outs. Also a quite reasonable price tag considering all thats included in the unit.

Best of luck.

Thanks all for your posts. It's good to get your thoughts.
It's a giant step up from the humble Boss machine in the spare room.

We will probably go Apogee partly because of favourable reports and also because our Protools dealer does Apogee and it makes for a 1 stop backup service deal.
I don't know if I'd be able to hear the difference if given the chance to listen to a comparison of different converters and I expect the mics and preamps (and experience) will play a big part. We are looking at an SSL alpha channel too.

We are going to do some of the Protools training clinics. Computer arrives in about a month so hopefully we don't forget how to write songs and play our instruments while we are figuring out how to use the gear properly :rolleyes:
Thanks again for taking time to reply.

I used to be PT and went SSL MADI

I love the SSL MADI system and it runs tight. Great sound, better than my PT setup was and my plugs cost half as much now. I can run any DAW I want (clients use a variety of formats, NOT JUST PT), and I can mix out onto any board I want. I use a Soundcraft Ghost 24LE. I run analog outs of AlphaLink MADI AX out to the board. In the box I mix in the DAW with my SSL Duende PCI and UAD-2 quad flexi. This setyp cost about 1/'3 as much as an HD system.
I challenge anyone to compare my OTB mixes into a console which is technically a 'cheaper' setup to a PT rig to any PT HD mix.
For the cost of overpriced converters, plugs and complicated control surface PT rigs, the SSL into a proper mixing console, was a no-brainer for me.

Back