AD conversion -> PC

Neito

Pouty-face
Okay, so I've been looking at a number of AD/DA converters, and each one I find has a different way of connecting to a computer. This is incredibly confusing to me. Some are incredibly simple and use USB/Firewire, and some, such as the Lynx Aurora 16, use 25-pin d-sub connectors (or something like that.) I'm trying to minimalize cost as much as possible in regard to format conversion (there's an alesis that uses ADAT, but it is my understanding that it requires a converter in order to get it to a format a computer can deal with.) I don't want to buy a whole new piece of equipment to convert a signal to another format if it isn't absolutely necessary. I personally would like to connect whatever I buy to a Macintosh laptop, and the simpler the connection the better, but that's more personal and less informational. Any information is helpful. Thanks!

whats your budget?

Apogee has a firewire solution and the Aurora should be coming out with one shortly

Neito said:
I personally would like to connect whatever I buy to a Macintosh laptop, and the simpler the connection the better, but that's more personal and less informational.

If you're using a laptop, then your options are either :

* Firewire
* USB
* PCMCIA

And right now, your best bet is a firewire interface, because those are the most common, and the connection should be fast enough to handle whatever you're going to throw at it.

M-audio has some fairly basic and inexpensive Firewire options, while companies like MOTU and RME have some more advanced solutions for more demanding applications.

Best of luck.

Neito said:
Okay, so I've been looking at a number of AD/DA converters, and each one I find has a different way of connecting to a computer. This is incredibly confusing to me. Some are incredibly simple and use USB/Firewire, and some, such as the Lynx Aurora 16, use 25-pin d-sub connectors (or something like that.)

Are you looking for a stand-alone AD/DA converter or an interface with converters, preamps, etc. You may be getting confused if you are looking at stand-alone converters that require a soundcard or other means of connecting to a laptop. Unless you have a fairly substantial budget (say over $1,000) you are probably looking at a firewire interface.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/cat--Firewire-Audio-Interfaces--2420

Well, as far as the actual hardware is concerned, money is not an object because I'll save up whatever I have to in order to get amazing equipment. At the moment I'm leaning towards either the Lynx Aurora 16 or the Metric Halo Mobile I/O. I'm also going to buy a Grace 901 preamp(I have connections with the company and can get them at cost). I know the Mobile I/O has firewire. But I guess my question is (I probably should have posted this earlier) how you can connect a stand-alone AD/DA converter to a computer. Are they all different, or is there some sort of standard involved?

Neito said:
But I guess my question is (I probably should have posted this earlier) how you can connect a stand-alone AD/DA converter to a computer. Are they all different, or is there some sort of standard involved?

Most offer a variety of digital connections from TOSLINK/SPDIF to AES. But you need a soundcard or interface with a digital IN.

The new Apogees have card slots can be connected directly to a computer with an optional firewire card.

http://www.mercenary.com/apro2002chad.html

dwillis45 said:
But you need a soundcard or interface with a digital IN.
I was shopping on mac.com today and found out that the 17 inch Powerbook has a digital in/out built in to the line in jack; is there any way to use that, or is it not fast enough?

Neito said:
I was shopping on mac.com today and found out that the 17 inch Powerbook has a digital in/out built in to the line in jack; is there any way to use that, or is it not fast enough?

Both the 17" Powerbook and the G5 towers have digital audio inputs. The G5 inputs are Toslink connectors. Apple describes the Powerbook inputs as "minijacks." So, while the G5 connection looks pretty straightforward, the powerbook might give you problems. I'm not sure what digital optical minijacks look like and I'm not sure what type of adapter if any is available to connect to an external AD converter using SPDIF, Toslink or AES.

Back