Active monitors in the $1500 range

Mynameistrouble

I'm looking to get some active monitors for my project studio, around the £800 (about US$1500) mark, and i really do not know where to start. Any suggestions and opinions would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
Mynameistrouble said:
I'm looking to get some active monitors for my project studio, around the £800 (about US$15,000) mark, and i really do not know where to start. Any suggestions and opinions would be most appreciated.
I think you meant $1500, no?

If it's $1500 for both, then go active.
Maybe Mackie HR824 or Dynaudio BM15 ?

If it's $1500 each, then by all means, get good B&W speakers with a nice amp and be done with it :)

Mon

Hey there:

Try the LSR 6300 SERIES and the LSR 4328 from JBL.. very good speakers trust me. Try mackie HR824 or ADAM. Dynaudio is a very good choise put I prefer JBL or ADAM. as nearfield mon. ( JBL includes ROOM CORRECTION, wich is not that good, but helps alot if you have problems with stationary waves or hard reflective surfaces )

Let me know if ya need anything else.

Henry

Of course this is just my opinion, but I would avoid the Mackie's and the Genelecs. Both are capable, but are very hard to adjust to. In your price range I would also avoid ADAM. The ADAM's don't seem to get really cool until the s3a's which are well out of your price range.

The Dewds suggestion for Dynaudio's sits well with me because I have been a happy Dynaudio user for years now. I love my BM15's (passive of course...), but also liked my BM6's before I upgraded. I don't think however that you will be able to touch a pair of active BM15's in your price range though. Maybe active BM6's though (BM6a). The B&W suggestion was also good if you can afford it, as well as Klein and Hummel.

Cheers for all the advice, probably would be best if i explained in a bit more detail. I currently have a set of absolute 2s and tannoy reveals, both passive, neither of which do the job as well as i would like, but which suited my budget when i bought them. I've recently had a windfall and decided that i'll upgrade my monitoring system, and as much as i'd love to have £800 for each i'm afraid it's just for the pair.

I tend to do a lot of recording in different people's houses, and then mix in my room here at home, so some flexibility would be good, would that info affect any of your choices? I was swaying towards the Mackie 624 (in england it's £720 for the 624 and £1000 for the 824, probably should have taken into consideration the rip-off British pricing factor!), when you say they're hard to adjust to what does that mean exactly? I'll have a look at all the ones you have named though and see what i think. Thanks again, keep it coming!

First off, monitors are kind of personal, and we all have our own opinions. As far as the Mackies go, I find them to be very fatiguing (tiring on your ears) and have a muffly shadowed low end. I actually prefer the way the 624's sound. I don't think they sound that great, but I feel like i get more of the correct "information" from them. There are still people though who do use the mackies and do good work on them. The good news is that there are TONS of Mackie's on the used market, so they can be had somewhat cheap. The bad news is that there are tons of used Mackie's on the market. Ever wonder why everyone is selling theirs?

Back