Active Monitor Volume Control / Line Splitter Project

guitar-dave

I have just bought some active monitors, and headphones for my DAW. The problem is connecting them both to my PC. I have an EMU 1212m sound card that has a left and right balanced TRS output. I want to connect both my monitors, and headphone amp to this output, and have a passive hardware volume control for the speakers.

My plan is to build a line splitter, to send the signal to my headphone amp or speakers, via a simple flick switch. When the switch is on the monitor position, a passive volume control will be bought into the circuit (a potentiometer basically).

So, I will need the following audio grade parts:

Switches
Potentiometer
6 TRS Input sockets
Wire to connect things up
A box to house it all in

My problems are:

1. What switches will I use, do I need one per channel? I have only ever worked with DC wiring, and I don’t know a switch that will keep all three signals per channel separate (hot, cold, and ground). Am I right in thinking I need a two triple pole, double throw switches

2. What wire shall I use for connecting inputs/outputs/switch etc? Will sections of mic cable do?

3. What potentiometer shall I use? Linear, logarithmic? What value?

Can anyone give me some idea what components I need? I’m in the UK, and will be buying them from RC components. If anyone knows a product available like this, please let me know!

Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Dave

Why do you need a passive hardware volume control for the speakers? You have a volume control already on the sound card.

I would like a hardware monitor level control becuase it is alot easier to use than a software one. To change the master level, I would have to open up the EMU patchmix window, and use the little master slider. I would much rather have a big dial sitting on my desk that I can just adjust.
I also remember reading a thread saying that it can be better to use hardware volume controls, as a software control might somehow be reset to 0db without you realising, perhaps blowing the speakers.

Right, I'm getting somewhere now. Ive found some of the components I'll need:

6 Jack / XLR combined sockets - http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/item_40-096_3000359.aspx

Triple Pole, Double Throw switch - Havn't found one yet, do these things exist?!

Standard Mic Cable for connecting components

That leaves the potentiometer. I plead for anyone with any electrical knowledge to spread some light on this. As far as I know, there are only two things to consider, linear/logarithmic and the pot value. I think it should be a log pot as this gives a more natural sounding volume increase as you turn it up, but I have no idea about what pot value to use, or how to wire it in a balanced dual mono circuit. Please someone help!

Cheers,
Dave

Back