Act

MrWrenchey

A fun, upbeat rock song I've been working on for awhile. The band's got three more songs to do (I'm doing an EP for them), and I'd love some constructive feedback on how it sounds right now.
Overall, I'm really liking it, but I think I'm going to have to fix a bit of the rhythmic feel of the guitars at the beginning in relation to the drums. The bass is also just plain DI (I was originally running it through Guitar Rig, but a trip to the Pro Tools forum will show you why it's not going through that anymore.)
Opinions?
View attachment Act.mp3

Some of the problems with this mix aren't the production. The timing and performances are bad. The drummer is bad, the guitarist(s) are bad, they're all pretty bad. I mean, listen to that lead! Lol. Anyway....

This mix is all out of whack to me. The focus seems to be on the guitars and vocals, and the drums and bass seem to be an afterthought. That's not good in my opinion. It sounds like you got usable guitar tracks (except for that horrendous lead), and a DI bass track should be fine, so how did you record the drums? Let's start there.....

Haha, I'm fully aware of those problems... The guitarist himself wasn't happy with the lead, but the people I'm getting in to record with aren't exactly worried about how it sounds, they just want a product as soon as possible.
The bass is DI'd, the guitar was mic'd with a plain old 57, and the drums were recorded in (don't kill me, it's all I have to work with right now) a 10x12x6.5 room without acoustic treatment. A pair of Samson C02s as overheads, 57 on the snare, e604s on toms (high and low), Audix D6 on kick (I would've liked to get more of the beater sound, but he didn't have a hole in the kick for me to stick it in to get more of that beater sound), and an AKG Perception 220 on the hi-hat.

Then you need to work on your drum mixing and processing. Those mics are plenty adequate to get good sounds from the kit. Yeah, that room size aint good, but still the spot mics should have at least gotten something decent if you did your job properly. Let the drums and bass breathe in the mix and bring down the guitars and vocals.

I love the energy and vibe to the song. Vocal sounds good. Liked those little stops where only the bass is playing.

To my ear the crunchy rhythm guitar is a bit too midrangy. Like too much "stuff" around 2700hz or so. I think it could use a little more distortion to it. It was a bit too clean for my tastes.

Something on the drums is sounding a little clicky in certain spots. The snare could use a little more "crack" to it. It's just a bit boxy too.

The timing was a little shaky early in the song.

I didn't care for the lead guitar break. A bit too simplistic. A timing gak on it in one spot too.

Back