ACOUSTICS GURUS: What do you think of my new studio plan?

Ethan Winer suggested this in another thread on here before (and elswhwere online). HEY ETHAN, where you at?! :p

I'm right here and you're doing fine. :D

The bigger question is should I not do OC for superchunks at all?

For really big chunk traps you can use fluffy fiberglass. Or use fluffy fiberglass with one sheet of 1-inch or 2-inch 703 in front to get a smooth surface that looks good.

--Ethan

I'm right here and you're doing fine. :D

For really big chunk traps you can use fluffy fiberglass. Or use fluffy fiberglass with one sheet of 1-inch or 2-inch 703 in front to get a smooth surface that looks good.

--Ethan
You're the best, thanks for the reply! While I have you, I asked this in another thread but If I put some thin painted styrofoam diffuser "thingies" (aka Auralex Q Fusors), which i already own, in front of superchunks on the rear wall near drums, will that be ok as far as not affecting the low end ( well maybe improving it a bit)? That way I can use those thingies to reflect the highs a little better than a plain flat facing like foil or butcher paper (or so I hope). :S

Not bad, though you'd do better with thicker absorption on the front and rear walls, and real diffusers where you show those plastic thingies. I wouldn't worry about the room being too dead. It's too narrow to get a "good" sounding ambience.

--Ethan

It's funny you should mention that, because now that all the new walls are up and with the room completely empty, the ambiance is actually amazing! It doesn't sound like it has a low ceiling and there is no audible flutter echo somehow, no matter where I go in the room and clap/snap/shout. Although the reverb time is ridiculous! haha. Audibly it's about 1.5 seconds long. There IS a modal ringing though (which should be fixed with my treatment plans hopefully). I forget which note it was. I just sung through a scale until i found the note that really rung. But that's to be expected. Just thought I'd mention that the ambiance actually sounds pleasing with the room empty and barewalls/ceiling/floor.

I altered my plan slightly. I now am now doing superchunks, putting thicker absorption on front and back walls and putting more hung panels on the ceiling instead of using as many foam squares on ceiling as in the original diagram.

So now to all those that were kind/generous enough to answer my original post, my questions are as follows...
See the attached new diagram below (I have left out a floor standing cubby that will be along one of the long walls for storage and also left out the combo amps since I figured they were negligible for this). I had ended up making a few extra mini panels out of left over materials and I also have a bunch of those foam corner "bass traps" as well as about 100 foam wedges that are not in the diagram. Not to say that I NEED to use all that extra stuff, but I should probably use up at least the extra 4" panels i made and the foam "bass traps". i list what i have left over in the diagram and any of it can go either on walls/ceiling where there may still be reflections, or straddling corners where wall meets ceiling in various places, especially above the mix position.

That ACTUAL questions:
1) where would you put this left over stuff? I'd hope to use it for more "bass trapping" or whatever these leftovers can provide as far as bass trapping.

2) should i fill in all/most of the empty ceiling space with those cheap foam wedges for what it's worth or is this enough? Floor will be reflective and the ceiling is 7' so I believe my questions to be valid enough.

3) Do you think those monitors placed the furthest to the outside of the mix position will "block" the superchunks from working effectively? They are JBL J2080 consumer hifi speakers for a "hyped up" refernce and to be used as "midfields" for kicks. They will be on stands and are approx 22" tall X 11" wide X 10" deep.

plan.jpg

Try to sell the extra foam on ebay ot some unsuspecting newbie! Save the extra small 4" traps for movable gobos when you're miking amps.

Try to sell the extra foam on ebay ot some unsuspecting newbie! Save the extra small 4" traps for movable gobos when you're miking amps.

Already set for gobos! :)

I made two 4'x4'x6" free standing ones, which I'll probably never need to use in this room, especially for mic'ing amps (unless doing live off the floor and need separation), or maybe around drums for an ultra dead 70'sish sound if/when need be.

I'm picturing lining at least 2-4 of those mini traps (or the foam "bass traps") up next to each other above the mix position, straddling the wall/ceiling, but not sure if the fact that they are so much shorter (still as thick as regular trap) if they'd do any good for actual low end trapping. Also I hear those foam ones likely don't go down any lower than 200 hz, so I'd be worried I'd throw off the "mud" portion in the room and actually scoop the room tone too cleanly down there (resulting in muddier mixes in that range when listening elsewhere).

So if I, lets say, used the mini traps above mix position, and then just lined up the foam "bass traps" along one of the ceiling/wall corners on the right long wall (I should do more bass trapping than just four vertical corners and above mix), I'd worry it would throw off the room by absorbing too much on one side. I can't put much at all on the left long side in the ceiling/wall corner because there is a bulkhead that runs almost all the way down the room. Should have mentioned that.

I also should mention that the actual dimensions are 10x30x7, as opposed to what I thought it was before moving in (original drawing had 24 feet long but it's 30).

Back