acoustic & vox song

skiz

really quick recording/mixing session

thanks for the listen

also my weakest point at the moment is vocal production. i dont get to record many vocalists and therefore it is just something i havent had chance to practice much - so any tips here especially would be appreciated

i liked the vocal production of City & Colour - Hello, I'm In Delaware - for reference

EDIT: not me playing or singing

I don't think the vocals are bad. The one thing that is really bugging me though is that b-noise, signal noise, or whatever that is. It almost sounds like when you record at a really low level, then turn it up bringing up all that noise with it. I'm sure one of the veterans around here will be able to articulate better and tell you the best way to go about removing it. Maybe try to solo each track to see where it's coming from and EQ it out, just a thought.

thanks man

yeah i think it might be a bit of computer fan noise :( i really need a control room. alas im limited in that regard. usually it doesnt make that much of a problem but then again im usually recording electric guitar or drums where the source is a lot louder to begin with and i dont have to have the gain of the mics way higher

Very nice acoustic sound. Voice sounds pretty good too, although it could be a little bit more defined. The handclaps sound a bit too loud. Nice song.

I dig it, I cut a hole in the wall and put the computer in another room and pulled cable through the hole to get rid of fan noise after I just had enough of it a few years ago... creeps into everything!

yeah its a pain hey? i really want to build a decent control room! one more year of studying i guess, then a real job will help with funding that :)

thanks for the comments guys, as far as vocal production goes, are there any tips for creating that big washy sounding reverb without getting too muddy? i tried using a big hall reverb and a delay on the vox to give it some ambiance

i could definitely use an upgrade on the vocal mic too :( argh money!

I like it - I can hear the City and Colour sound a little. The vocal sounds a little quiet to me. I'd also add a back up vocal on the chorus - a harmony vocal would sound fantastic there.

Good detail on the guitar. Almost too much - I'm hearing lots of fret buzz, squeaks etc. Good singing. Nice voice. Mix is a little quiet.

I thought the performance got a little clumsy when the second guitar came in around :44.

Little pop at 1:10 - I think it was you opening your mouth. You might be able to edit that out.

Little pitch issue at 1:39 on the word "day."

Vocals get buried in spots.

Hand claps are abrupt and they sound like they're 15 feet closer than the rest of the tracks.

Back