Acoustic Triggers - how reliable?

shockingcandy

Leads for all occasions
Honest answers please...

How reliable are acoustic drum triggers i.e. how much false triggering can I expect form say ddrum pros?

The pro versions won't false trigger at all as long as your technique is decent and you set the brain up properly.

The most common problem people have with kick triggers is that some people will rest the beater on the head between hits. You don't hear it acoustically because of everything else that's going on. But the triggers will pick that up. Same with guys that play ghost strokes on the snare without meaning to.

For the most part, setting up the brain so it works with your playing style is a bigger issue than the triggers themselves.

BTW, I have always had problems with the Redshot triggers. It puts the sensor too far away from the edge, so it picks up more random vibration.

I agree with Farview. Many modules actually have a double trigger sensitivity adjustment. It mutes the second hit if it is too close (in milliseconds) to the first hit. They also have an initial threshold setting as well. So accidental light bumps and adjacent pad hits won't trigger. You just need to tweak it to your own playing style.

You may run into issues with false triggering if you are playing live in the same room with loud Bass guitar, or even the occasional e-guitar amp. Loud low frequencies can unexepectedly cause the whole kit full of triggers to go off.

You may run into issues with false triggering if you are playing live in the same room with loud Bass guitar, or even the occasional e-guitar amp. Loud low frequencies can unexepectedly cause the whole kit full of triggers to go off.

That's OK. I was only planning to use them for recording. Thanks for all your replies.

Back