Acoustic treatment - quickest approach?

bhuether

I am living in a home for 18 months. I don't have tools and skills for a complicated DIY project. I just want to quickly treat some rooms. Room 1 is medium bedroom size. That is the studio. Room 2 is where I have a guitar speaker cab from which I run a mic into room 1. Room 2 is somewhat bigger than room 1. In any case, I just want to treat these rooms as fast as possible. I don't need perfection. Just want big improvement. What would you do if you had 1-2 thousand to spend on this matter?

If I wanted quick, and had money and no DIY skills?

I would contact Alex at GIK.

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

He is a member here. You could also 'Advanced Search' his user name 'GIK Acoustics', and PM him.

I am living in a home for 18 months. I don't have tools and skills for a complicated DIY project. I just want to quickly treat some rooms. Room 1 is medium bedroom size. That is the studio. Room 2 is where I have a guitar speaker cab from which I run a mic into room 1. Room 2 is somewhat bigger than room 1. In any case, I just want to treat these rooms as fast as possible. I don't need perfection. Just want big improvement. What would you do if you had 1-2 thousand to spend on this matter?

Where are you located? For $1-2 thousand you should be able to get decent results.

--Ethan

If I wanted quick, and had money and no DIY skills?

I would contact Alex at GIK.

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

He is a member here. You could also 'Advanced Search' his user name 'GIK Acoustics', and PM him.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion!

$1,000 - $2,000 is a good budget for a single room, but a small budget for two rooms. However, not sure you need a ton of treatment in the second room if you're simply close mic'ing a guitar cab. A few panels around the cabinet could help reduce room tone in the recordings.
Quick & dirty suggestions for quick & dirty treatment:

Mixing room:
4" panels at first reflection points on the left wall, right wall, and ceiling to get some bass absorption and treat reflections. 6" panels in the back of the room for low end absorption. Superchunk or soffit style corner treatments, again, to get really low. Diffusion on the rear sidewalls or rear wall to fight flutter echo. More ceiling treatment would be needed if you have hard flooring.

Recording room:
A couple 4" panels around the guitar cab would likely work pretty well.

If you provide some more specific info on the rooms, you might get some more specific info.

Let me know any questions you have.

Room 2 is where I have a guitar speaker cab from which I run a mic into room 1
Assuming that you're just using a close mic on the cab, how about the traditional "drape a few duvets/remover's blankets over the whole thing" approach? Use some sofa cushions for support if you're making a tunnel.

Just make sure the guitar amp gets cooling air circulation. Even if you buy a bunch of duvets new, that's just a couple of hundred bucks at most. Spend the big money in the room that has the monitors.

Spend the big money in the room that has the monitors.

I do agree with this. Another option is a few panels on stands so they can be moved in and out of the mixing room when necessary. Can also double as a nice recording booth for vocals as well! Or any acoustic instrument for that matter.

Back