acoustic treatment question. Fiberboard?

brownbearTLE

Hey everyone,

Sometimes i go out on the road to record a band, for example at their practice space for a demo. For all of these projects i need some basic acoustic treatment to separate the drummer or vocalist from a nasty room. What i had in mind was putting two 1/2"x4'x8' fiberboard sheets together, then placing burlap around them, and finishing them off by placing a wooden frame around them. I would then place three together by hinges.

Is fiberboard a decent option in deadening sound?

This would just be to kill off early reflections

Last edited:
When I think of the word "Fiberboard" I think of a relatively dense panel of something like cheap cabinet wood or some siding...that would not absorb anything...it might act as a mild boundary ...possibly a reflective surface.
To "absorb" you would need to add something like compressed fiberglass on top of it.
I have seen folks use something dense...like a solid core door or a sheet of MDF as a medium to hang a panel on one side so that the outer hard surface would reflect sound away while the inner surface with the compressed fiberglass would absorb...making psuedo booth areas around amps , drums and vocalists.
It just means having the ability to cart huge objects with you.

fiberboard is essentially compressed fiberglass. I was thinking more on the side of fiberglass though, possibly 2 inches thick.

I also want to make some for acoustic treatment in my studio

Treating a space acoustically isn't the same thing as achieving isolation for individual instruments.

You can't have too many bass traps, so I vote enthusiastically for your plan.

Back