Acoustic Treatment for a Multipurpose Room

Warwick720

Hello! This is my first post here, and I apologize if it's overly generic or lengthy. I'm sure many similar threads exist, but it'd be really cool to get more specific information. I've recently moved, and my home recording studio, band rehearsal space, and bedroom have all been combined into one.

It is rectangular, 17'x13'x7'.
There are two 58x40 windows, one in the middle of a long wall and the other on a short one. Along both of the walls with windows, there is a built-in 4" ledge at window level.
The other short wall is entirely closets, which I figure can be opened for diffusion, etc.

I am planning on building my own acoustic panels and corner bass traps with rockwool. I would assume something else is necessary for the ceiling, windows, floor and doorway.

How many/what size/where should any of these be? Absorbtion/diffusion? Layout of the room?

My main objective is a good-sounding live room for recording my own noise-punk band, as well as friends' bands. Out of necessity, this is also where mixing, etc. will take place. This same room is also my band's practice space. I live with family, so another concern is isolating the room from the rest of the house, so they can be a little more comfortable. It is already fairly isolated from sound outside the house. Lastly, it is my living space, but this is just about the last priority on my list. Gear is probably 90% of what I own.

I have a very, very small budget to work with, but do not mind (in fact, look forward to) putting in some work building things myself.

Any advice and wisdom any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time and consideration,
Preston

Last edited:
Go to the Studio Building and Acoustic Treatment section of this forum, and read.
Bass traps in all corners, including the ceiling-to-wall and floor-to-wall corners, and at the pointsof first reflection on the 2 side walls. Ceiling cloud of absorbant material (does not need to be 4" thick bass traps) over your mixing area.
Type of wall material, floor material, ceiling material and even things like heavy drapes over the windows will influence your particular room's requirements.
As you say your budget is limited, go for the corner bass traps first.

Back