Acoustic Tom Petty-inspired

I thought it sounded pretty good.

A little low end rumble on the bass. Not much definition on the bass.

Acoustic guitars sound pretty. They are a little hot in the midrange and are competing a little with the vocal in spots.

I'd nudge up the harmony vocals a db or two.

Good song and vocal. Bass is loud for me. Bass and acoustic guitar could be more together.

I like the harmony vocal level better.

I'm listening on a different system than the first time. But it still seems that the acoustic guitars are still a little mid-rangey. I think if you did a very narrow, -5db (or so) notch somewhere between 2400hz and 2700hz, it'd improve the sound.

I'd need to listen on a better system to see if I still hear the low end rumbling. I'll try to do that later.

Double tracking on the vocal gets off for a second at 2:07.

Listening on a better system.

I still think the acoustic guitars are too hot in the midrange - 2400hz-2700hz.

The rumble I'm remembering from last is gone. But I still think the low end is too strong for a song like this.

What's going on it the second verse? Over aggressive bass playing?

I like your singing voice.

I don't call 2400-2700 'mid-range', but think a little cut in that area might smooth the acoustic sound a bit. There are some bass parts that really stick out - try throwing a compressor on it to start. But when it's playing the low notes (is it an upright bass?) the notes are low in volume.

I listened a couple of times quite loudly through my tracking phones - HD280's. I personally thought the acoustic guitars sounded fine, but these phones tend to run a bit on the dark side.

As others have mentioned, the bass level isn't very consistent, and I too noticed in the second verse the part seemed to get a little too hyped given how little else was changing there. Not like really bad or anything, just a bit odd.

Good vocal performance.

I like this sound. Clean smooth acoustic, warm deep sound overall. I agree about a compressor on the bass. I like the strong low end, it just needs to be more consistent dynamically.

Back