Acoustic + string quartet

Qwerty

Bloody hell! Don't have children if you don't want to stop making music! :D

Here's the first thing I've had a chance to do in a long while. Started life as an acoustic guitar + vocals track but I felt it was missing something. I tried going down the bass and drums path but couldn't make it work.

Had a flash of inspiration and this is the result.

Please let me know your thoughts on the mix and the song itself.

Cheers!

:D Q.

Thoughts as I listen

1 Brilliant sounding guitar. Great, well-controlled voice

2 There was delay on the guitar that was a bit obvious at the start.

3 Nice harmonies

4 Cello slips in there sneakily and the rest of the strings are arranged pretty well (I accept that you have to make use of what you've got, hence the midi). But it's not hard to imagine how it wuold sound with a real quartet.

5 As the song progressed I found it difficult to hear what was happening at the bottom end (i.e. the cello line). However, I expect, for the most part, it was doing long droney lines. Maybe you would experiment with more percussive quarter notes. Doing this might open up a bit of space down the bottom.

However, it's a great song, well performed, well sung and well recorded. Nice work. Your decision to go with a string quartet treatment was insightful and works well.

Good song, well performed. What did you use for the strings? They sound pretty realistic.

Wig:)

Thanks for the listens!

Nice idea re: the cello line gecko zzed - I'll have to have a play with that.

Xeries - the bass, cello and viola are all the VSL Strings from Kontakt 3. The violin is the Garritan Stradivari, (which I love). The VSL stuff that ships with Kontakt are only string ensembles - I would have preferred solo instruments, but ya play with what ya got, don't ya... Also, given they are string sections, the raw samples themselves are quite wet. Ideally I would like to have used drier samples so I could have made it more intimate, but I'm pretty happy anyway.

Ciao,

Q.

Excellent sound/performance. Nice bright and bold. The strings do sound very nice - Garritan eh? I think DavidK mentioned he uses them for (I think) low stuff.... :cool:

Back