Acoustic recording options:

Dracon said:
Wow! That's crystal clear, like you where right here in the room. How'd you do that with acoustic and then converted to MP3? The MP3 doesn't sound flat or faded. It's a nice good rich acoustic sound.

By the way what kind of acoustic guitar do you have and what are the strings on them?

thanks for the comments. The acoustic is a high end Washburn. Made in 94 or so. The strings are Elixer's and they were probably about a 6 months old. Those things sound good forever. They're about a year old now and still sound good.

The key was the blend of the large diaphragm and the Sansamp Acoustic DI. That DI really tightened up the lower end. The pre on the mic was just an ART Tube MP. As far as the mp3 goes, I probably just used the built in encoder in Cool Edit Pro.

To JR: Maybe I'm missing something but when you say direct into the Sans...do you mean you're coming out of an internal pickup in your guitar into it? Sorry if the question is stupid. P.S I've met Ed Gerhard many times and I truly believe he is unrivaled on fingerstyle guitar. His recording techniques are just scary. He explained them to me but I was too thrilled to be speaking with him to remember anything he said! :eek:

Oh yea...nice stuff by the way.

Last edited:
To JR: Maybe I'm missing something but when you say direct into the Sans...do you mean you're coming out of an internal pickup in your guitar into it? Sorry if the question is stupid. P.S I've met Ed Gerhard many times and I truly believe he is unrivaled on fingerstyle guitar. His recording techniques are just scary. He explained them to me but I was too thrilled to be speaking with him to remember anything he said! :eek:

I'd just try different things and settle on what I thought sounded best.
That seems to be my favorite way of recording things. :)

sickstring69 said:
To JR: Maybe I'm missing something but when you say direct into the Sans...do you mean you're coming out of an internal pickup in your guitar into it?

DI=Direct In, pugged from the guitar pick up directly into your recorder, with or without a boost or effects box in between.

sickstring69 said:

Oh yea...nice stuff by the way.

DI is like digital said. My washburn has an onboard pre-amp and xlr out, so it doesn't really need a DI. But the sansamp adds cool color.

I've met Ed G. a few times, too. I even took a clinic from him about 10 years ago. In my set, I do about 5 tunes of his. Once you get used to his way of thinking, it's a lot easier to break down his tunes and they're not too difficult to learn. If you like him, you'd like Bill Mize.

SilverSurfer said:
I have one Mk319 mic. I could record at the sound hole or I could plug in to the guitar with either option going to the DMP3 to the compressor to the recorder.

Should I just bone up and get another mic to utilize the best suggested way of recording acoustic via 2 mics?

I use 3 mics and the pickup for recording on 4 seperate channels. Then I can listen to it, reballance it, and mix them down into 2 tracks. I get great results.

Back