acoustic plucking

Erland

This song is really gentle. I think the vocal is quite pleasant and I have a new technique for recording the guitars. I plug in direct and mic it up and then split the two tracks after recording. Is this stereo recording?

I`m still using the 24 buck mic, I actually like it but now that I`m home I can hear the crispness. I think I will get a good dynamic because its so easy to record with.

Could you check this one out?

25. A little sunshine

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1375/album738

Erland

Ps. I aim to have my CD finsihed, yup by friday next week. Thats the goal anyway.

www.geocities.com/erlandcooper

The part of it I liked the best was the reverb that kicked in on the vocal at some places.

I wanted the picking to be cleaner, and like the collab you've got posted here, I wanted the vocal louder in relation to the guitar.

The lyrics confuse me: it sounds like the song's talking to a girl at first, then the singer says: "give a little smile set her free". Or is it a lesbian song? I'm being too logical about it all, right? LOL Okay, I figured it out - the girl smiles and she sets free the sweetheart inside herself. I got it, right? LOL

Keep playing it - you'll either get the kinks out of the picking, or you'll get her to fall in love with you. Either way, you're smiling.

Oh, yeah - the sound on the guitar's fine. Can you get it louder though - that waveform's really diddy.

YEAHHHH!!!

I really enjoyed that...maybe...if i keep on practicing everyday for the next 100 years...i'll play the guitar and sing that well too. Great song...loved the lyrics...some of the chord progressions were somewhat "zeppelinish", if you were familiar with that 'orange au stomp' or something like that song...you'll know what i'm talking about. I LIKE IT!

nice song man...celtic influenced for sure...
Nice tone on the guit...good vox and knee pat....and pglewis forhead slap... :D
I like your voice man.....it has a quality tone to it.

Take it easy,
Joe

Very nice. Would like to hear the vocal just a tad louder in the mix. I really like the end of the song when the panned vocals join in.

Nice job, man! I'm going to check out your collaboration too!

:D

1st Listen : (SONY CFS-1055 Jambox - medium grade consumer speakers - flat EQ)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal sounds well mixed. I can understand every word on the first listen. I would like to hear the vox at least 1db higher. The backup vox can come up 2-3db.

In the right stereo field at 01:09, I'm heaing a guitar with contrapuntal melodic motion that isn't working, part or mix wise, it's simply a bit distracting.

I do like the use of the vowel 'e' as a hold out pedal for harmonies to form around, we are so often hearing the typical ooohs and ahhhs, this is a refreshing change. The addition of delay just on that consonant is well done.

A very beatlesqe section beginning at 02:23. The snap at the end I can do without. You already have our attention.

2nd Listen : (SONY MDR-7506 Industry standard mixing headphone)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vox can come up 1-2db. At 0:28, I'm really hearing that contrapuntal melodic figure in the guitar here, and it does not work, it belongs in the next song ;-) perhaps. Cutting the speed of this riff in half, will give you a nice bass line.

Yes the 'e' and the delay sounds very nice.

The 'beatle-esqe' section needs more delay and reverb on the vox, The little stick sounds nice, and this is a very difficult mix technique to pull off well, but I like the change-up and the nod to a more complicated mix.

The finger-snap can be dropped.

Nice song, what I've come to expect from you, thanks for sharing and entertaining.

Blablablabla blaveryniceblablablabla blablablablabla blablabla blablablablablablablablaterrificbla blablablanice blablablablablablabla blablablablablablabla veryblabla blablablablaexcellentblablablablabla blablablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablablablabla blawonderful blablabla blablablablasimplygreatblabla blablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablab lablablabla bla blablablablayourockbla blablablablabla blablablablablabla blablablabla blabla blablablablablabla blabla blablablabla blablabla blablablaonedayiwillkillyouforbeingsogreatblabla
blablabla blablablablablablabla blablablablabla blablaexcelltnblablablablablablablablablablabla

Nice!

Good pickin' and grinnin' :D Perhaps just a bit more vocals, but just very little.

This is very pleasant to listen to, thanks for the post

Very nice. Reaaly good lyrical hook in the chorus. This may sound strange from me, since I also record alone, but I'd love to hear this with a full band.

What is the percussion at the end, is that really a knee-slap? :)

Just sign me up for a CD already.

great song

..great sung
great played

but IMHO it's a little too dry for my linking. I'd love for some more reverb on the vocals in particular

but, hey...thats just my view.

again...great song

Haha...cool ending. :)

This was great man. It sort of grooved along like a good seventies tune. It would be a great tune to hear out on the patio with some friends and a few drinks. But I suppose that's where most your music belongs in my mind. In the most peaceful of places and with the most amiable people I know.

Oh, ummm...mix is fine. Vocal were a bit crispy for my taste. They'd benefit from a little compression...panning gets a bit to wide at the end IMO...blah blah blah. Yada EQ yada yada levels yada yada reverb blah blah...

Ok, work's over.

Good song.

Tom

Another good one as usual. The vocals lacked a little warmth on this one IMO. It seems like there is an effect on them that is kind of cool, but again I would like some warmth there. Actually there is a lack of low end in general. I would bring up that lower guitar part some.

Always a pleasure! I liked the end. It was fun. You always seemed to have a fun little element to your song/mix.

nice one, cheers

dobro. Hey I appreciate you checking my songs out. The collab with Ian was great fun but I had mixxed a bad guitar that is impossible to take out. I`ll have to redo my end. The guitar in this one was definately scrapy. yeh I think the vocal is a little low at times too. Its actaully about these real grumpy waitresses that are very young but act like middle aged women. If they just relaxed for a little they would enjoy themselves. Wierd inspiration for a song huh. Thanks for listening. I`ll normalise the song to get it louder. Yeh I`m putting all the thirty three songs onto a double CD and then giving it away free next week. Ps. There is no door in that lyic, just "open at all"

mshea. Thanks for checking it out man. lol. Zeppelin, nice. Cheers mate.

joro. Cheers Joro. Glad you had a listen. No foreheads hurt in the making of this song. Later

boydrj. Hey cheers. A tad higher would be good. I suppose I always turn my self down a little, I should stop doing that. The collaboration was fun but becasue I record on a four track and mix down, I cant get to that loud guitar thats hurting the mix without redoing the song. Thanks for listening.

studioviols. Hi. Thanls for listening again Pat. I record on headphones so I`m never ever sure how it turns out on speakers. I think the vocal is a little soft too. That guitar part was a little bit of a risk, I wasnt sure if it sounded really good or really bad. After a few listens I dont mind it but I think your right it is distracting. The snap was just spontaneous with the knee slapping, no intent but just fun. I actually wondered, what snap. I wasnt sure if I should make the beatleesk part dry or reverbed, in the end I did dry but I could add some more. Thanks for the review.

Pedullist. cheers, blah. Nice

sloop. Great mate. Thanks for the listen. I think a little increase would be better too.

Jim Soloway. Hi there. Thanks for checking this one out. I wonder what it would sound like with a band, how it would be arranged. Cheers.

lynx. Yup, thats me knee. CD is yours.

Vegar. Thanks. I think its a little dry too. I`ll put more reverb on it.

SLuiCe. Geat Tom, thanks. Thats the sentiment I suppose. The problem with the vocal I rechon is simply the mic, its so cheap and nasty. Its almost like one of those kareoke plastic things, well it is!

skids. Hi man, yeh I was just telling Tom, that mic is so tinny. Its alright for 24 bucks though but it does make a wierd wee sound. Usually just a one off experiemnt at the end that I end up keeping in. Thanks again Skids.

Cheers for the reviews guys.

Erland

Erland,

I like the tune and the presentation of it. It was reminiscent of many older, similar genre songs from the early 70's and that's not a bad thing in my mind.

Considering the budget Microphone you used, I was even more impressed with what you came away with as a finished product.

My only nit picks with the recording were that the vocals could have used a bit more warmth on the bottom end around 250 Hz.

The stereo "weirdities" on the back end of the tune were nicely done and consistent with the early 70's comment from above.

Back then and even now, to a degree, I think a lot of us have trouble deciding where to put stuff in the stereo perspective on a studio produced track and within reason, I think there should be a lot of leeway given to weird pans when the recording is not trying to pass itself off as a live on stage performance.

Nice job over all.

Cheers! :)

thanks ghost

for checking this one out. Its real simple (as always) and I suppose that lends well to a 70s sound. I baught the mic in some little shop on my travels, its all they had. It is one step up from a kareoke I would say. I actually cant recall decided how to split the stereo, I just thought it sounded nice. I will normalise the song and add some vava voom to the low end for the CD. Cheers.

Erland

Cool. I missed this one. I love it. All your tunes are so different from the crap that's on the radio, it's refreshing. nice mix. I think seeing as there's not too much going on (which I think is great and one of the reasons your stuff is so powerful) that the whole mix could be a bit "bigger" sounding. But at the same time I love the fact that it's not :p LOL sorry not very helpful I know :D

Pedullist said:
Blablablabla blaveryniceblablablabla blablablablabla blablabla blablablablablablablablaterrificbla blablablanice blablablablablablabla blablablablablablabla veryblabla blablablablaexcellentblablablablabla blablablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablablablabla blawonderful blablabla blablablablasimplygreatblabla blablablablablablablablabla blablablablablablablablablab lablablabla bla blablablablayourockbla blablablablabla blablablablablabla blablablabla blabla blablablablablabla blabla blablablabla blablabla blablablaonedayiwillkillyouforbeingsogreatblabla
blablabla blablablablablablabla blablablablabla blablaexcelltnblablablablablablablablablablabla

That was one of the better thought out reviews I've seen from you.

Oh and you misspelled "excellent."

Back