Acoustic Panning Question

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

First time recording a singer songwriter thing...strictly acoustic and vox with perhaps a cajon and shaker here and there in the track. Here are the chains I'm using...

-ksm313 to la610 SE
-sm7b direct to Babyface pre
-Internal Taylor pick-up direct to Baby face
-Not sure if it matters but both external mics are going thru a Cloudlifter before hitting the pre's

How would you recommend panning these in this instance?

Thanks,

ROK

You're killin me John, lol. Just looking for ideas. Ps. I'll be hittin you up for mastering in the next month or two...perhaps mixing as well? ;)

If all you have is an acoustic and vocal, there is not much for panning options. I'd two-mic the guitar and put the combined signal just a little to one side, vocal right down the center. shaker and/or cajon can be panned a little further to the other side. Avoid extreme panning in this situation as it will make the instruments sound like they are in a different room than the singer.

Maybe double track the guitar and pan one track to the left and other one to the right.

I would stereo Mic the guitar and pan those tracks wide (depending on how wide I want the stereo image). Put the vocals up the center and maybe add a little of the direct sound up the center as well.

It kind of depends on how "close" you want the listener to the performer. A wider image seems more in your face than narrow image.

Back