Acoustic Panels

Travis, I understand your point of view. What a consumer is paying for in a GIK panel is both a product and a service IMO. Therefore one might see more of a value in the GIK panels than another would. There was nothing wrong with you suggesting that Zetajazz build his own panels. However, I think that the overall tone of your original post was a bit cynical. Sure, anybody could wrap rockwool in fabric and attach it to a wall but, as Rod stated, the performance of that product is not certain. One could make an educated guess based on materials used but, at best it would still be a guess. It matters not to me wether someone buys their panels from a manufacturer such as GIK or goes the DIY route but, Glenn has stated in the past that he spends a great deal of effort (and money) training his employees to make the panels properly or better stated "the same way every time" and have the finished product tested for accurate absorption coefficients. There is value and consumer security in GIK panels that can't be attained DIY. Still for those DIY warriors such as yourself, There are commercially available products for you to peice together and be proud of your craftmanship and frugality.

I say all that to say: It's all a matter of preferrence.

PEACE!!

TravisinFlorida said:
I won't include any names but it has already been stated on this BBS that getting a material/product acoustically tested is'nt that expensive. I suppose it makes sense, if you're selling a product, to have some test data to help sell your product/service. But, if the product is made out of readily available materials that have already been acoustically tested, then why would I need a company to sell me those materials for a profit when I can obtain them myself for less money?

Travis,

No war - I was just making an observation -

testing is about 800 to a grand a pop -

I have no problem with the DIY approach - in fact I encourage it - but understand something - the minute you take a product - and wrap fabric around it - you just changed the absorption coefficients of the product......

Use a different fabric with a different weave - you change it again.......

Now - mount it off the wall and the coefficients change again -

Straddle a corner - the coefficients change again.........

So you can DIY and you get what you get -

My only point here was that the GIK pricing was a fair price for what was being provided - especially since Glenn IS paying for the testing so people know exactly what it is they're getting in return.........

They don't know that with the DIY approach - they only know what the starting values are for an unfinished product.

No hard feelings.........

Rod

Well, I just talked to Glenn @ GIK Acoustics and ordered 4 of their "Monster" traps. They are 2' X 4' X 7"... According to Glenn, this "Monster" line (7 inches thick) is not on their website yet...

I am supposed to pick them up locally 1 week from today... Wish me luck on my room treatment!

The GIK line appears to be fairly priced when you consider the likely cost of labor and profit. That being said you can certainly save money on DIY rockwool or 703 absorbers.

Rod Gervais said:
Travis,

I bet you couldn't if you were a bonifide company - GIK pays a certified company to test their products - I would expect that those testing costs have to be passed on to the consumer...........

So perhaps you could make up some stuff and send it to someone - but they would not have a clue as to the value of it at any frequency........ so what exactly would you be seeling them (much cheaper of course).........

Think about it - it's one thing to make a few bucks on the sided - another thing altogether to run an actual business..........

FWIW - the GIK products are a very good buy for the investment...........

SIncerely,

Rod

Hey Rod,

Thank you very much for all the kind words and also standing up for something that we really believe in, TESTING.. I really believe that it gets over looked by slick ads or websites.. IMO if a product is not tested then building them yourself is just as good, maybe better! :)

I do want to correct you on one thing... I wish testing was only $800.00. Sure one test is $800.00 but when you test it is common to get 2 or 3 tests done at the time. Plus you have the fedex shipping, plane tickets, hotel, car rental, BEER, hookers (opps) and any other expense you can think of.. All getting close to a price around $4000.00.. Not a bunch of money, but it costs and we really believe in it.

Now with all this said, HECK YES you can build them.. I really hope I did not come off as saying you can't, but it is just like any other piece of gear in your room. Is a product that is tested and consistent important to you? If not then building is the way to go.. Plus it is a time thing...
The only time I really have a problem with someone building panels is when they build them wrong then post on the internet that they suck.. I always think that it translates to all panels (meaning ours and people like Real Traps) stuff is crap..

Zetajazz44,

Thanks man for your purchase and look forward to meeting you next week.. BTW, I really can play a mean bluegrass coozo (is that spelled right?), if you need someone! :)

Glenn

myfipie said:
I do want to correct you on one thing... I wish testing was only $800.00. Sure one test is $800.00 but when you test it is common to get 2 or 3 tests done at the time.

Glenn,

What I mean to say was 800 to a grand a pop (per test).

I understand that you don't test just one piece one time and then are done with it.

Sorry bout that.........

Rod

Rod Gervais said:
Glenn,

What I mean to say was 800 to a grand a pop (per test).

I understand that you don't test just one piece one time and then are done with it.

Sorry bout that.........

Rod

Oh Rod I knew you understood that. Just wanted to, for the first time in my life, correct something you said.. ha ha ha.. :)

myfipie said:
TravisinFlorida,

Glenn here from GIK Acoustics.. If you would like give me a call toll free at 1 866 667 1569 and I can answer any questions you may have..
One correction I would like to make that the last poster made is it is more then just wrapped fiberglass and if I may say that our lab numbers show that.. But he is right you can make panels that can work pretty darn well also. In fact if I may brag for one second, :D, we have a new panel that we just got testing back from Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.. Here are just a few numbers. I can send anyone PFD's of the lab reports if you care to take a look

The first number is frequency, second number is the absorption coefficient. This is with the panel straddled in the corner, "J" test.

50 Hz .63
63 Hz 1.27
80 Hz 3.00
100 Hz 2.34
125 Hz 2.00
160 Hz 1.85
200 Hz 1.97
250 Hz 2.06
315 Hz 2.09
400 Hz 2.10
500 Hz 1.87
630 Hz 1.66
800Hz 1.42
1000 Hz 1.16
1250 Hz 1.01
1600 Hz .89
2000 Hz .89
2500 Hz .83
3150 Hz .78
4000 Hz .78
5000 Hz .73

Glenn

Just wondering.......how can these panels outperform Real Traps for 1/4 of the price? What is "J" test? Also, I have'nt received those .pdf lab reports yet.

I don't like to do the whole "compare to real traps" thing so much.. Ethan is a great guy and sells a great product. The other thing is he has done so much for the acoustic world.. I hope that is a ok answer to give you.

If you go to our absorption report on our website it talks about "J" testing..

Did you send me a email asking for the PDF's? If so I did not get it.. :(
email me at glenn.k@gikacoustics.com and I will get them over to you

Glenn,

> I don't like to do the whole "compare to real traps" thing so much.. Ethan is a great guy and sells a great product. The other thing is he has done so much for the acoustic world.. I hope that is a ok answer to give you. <

You are a class act, and I'm proud to have you as my friend.

--Ethan

Back