Acoustic Mic Setup

Acousti-Playa

Hey everyone, i just got an AT 3035 and an Oktava MK012 for micing my acoustic. I have a taylor and its got a pretty nice pickup, and i go into a behringer mixer. any ideas on good placement for the 2 mics... i am a pretty aggressive strummer. thanks.

patrick

Also try placing one mic near the guitar and the other way across the room. Pan each one hard on opposite sides for a KILLER stereo image. With a Taylor, you could also blend the pickup with the two mics and see what happens. Center it between the panned mics and play around with it.

I've also found that if I record in the stairwell of my house, I get a HUGE sound with mics placed like C7sus recommended.

C7 uses a similar technique to mine. Find the sweet spot for each mic--one-at-a-time--then check for phasing by panning both opposite wide and then gradually narrowing the stereo field.

For aggressive playing in a decent room, I like to back the mics off a couple of feet to avoid overloading the mics and to let the guit sound develop a little before it hits the mics--too far back and the stereo image will start to disappear.

It is also valid to mic closer , say 4-6", with either mic alone. I put it where the neck meets the body, and then move toward the headstock, one fret at a time. I've gotten very good results that way with AKG C414B. The Oktavas I occasionally use backed off, say 3 feet, as an X-Y coincedent stereo pair. Try the Oktava close on the 12th fret with the AT mic looking down at the body over your shoulder, and reverse the phase on the AT.
One question- Does your Taylor have a Fishman Prefix Plus in it? They use a couple of different Fishman units. The Prefix Plus is a stereo blender. It has an undersaddle piezo pickup, and a back electret mic also. It has stereo output, so you can separate the 2 signals. I've gotten excellent results DI with my Taylor, separating the 2 signals into the 2 sides of a dual-channel preamp. It works especially well with my Joemeek twinQ. The weird part is, the mic sucks, and so does the pickup. But, if you start with a fair amount of the mic, then start gradually adding pickup, eventually you come to a sweet spot where I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a guitar mic'd up pretty. This works both for recording, or as a mono output for stage use. Try plugging it into a Strawberry Blonde acoustic amp sometime. If I had a Taylor with any other Fishman system, I'd consider paying to have a Prefix Plus installed in it. Best of luck.-Richie

I think I'd try the MC319 over the shoulder and the MC012 at about the 12th fret. Adjust mic placements for taste and watchout for phase problems. Also, don't point the 603S too much at the sound hole, and remember you can move the neck mic (603S) up or down the neck as well as over or above the neck. On my D35 acoustic guitar, I like a MXL603S mic in front, at about the 12 fret, pointed towards the back lower part of the guitar where the neck meets the body. The mic is about 3" in front of the neck and about 2" below the neck.

Last edited:
also, check out the big mic thread.....it is "sticky"ed at the top of this forum........

Gidge said:
im thinking the 3035 out front and the 012 over the shoulder.....

www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html
WTF?!!!... Hasn't this dude ever heard of MS? :confused:

A entire paragraph devoted to...

"Stereo-Miked Acoustic Guitar Tracks and Mono-Compatibility"...

And NO mention of MS?!!... MAJOR OMISSION!

In fact MS is even more mono compatible than XY.

IMO the 'numero uno' method of recording acoustic instruments in stereo!

Back