Acoustic: Ksm44 vs. 2 Rode NT5's

I use a Sennheiser e614 quite a bit, but when I get critical for doing the acoustic guitar I prefer the NT2-A. Perhaps with a 2nd mic (I'll often use a NT1-A for this) a different location and angle to pick up nuances and air. Works rather well. If you already have the NT5's I'd use those........

I use a matched pair of NT5s with outstanding results. But I've also had great results with a couple of large condensors.

personally, i think it would depend on the arrangement...i've miced acoustic guitars w/ the NT-5's with great results - they're a very pleasing guitar mic, and the ability to record in stereo can definitely help if it's a simple singer/songwriter type of song...however, if you're working a little bit of acoustic guitar into a "denser" arrangement, you might be better off with the shure and recording in mono

Ironklad Audio said:
personally, i think it would depend on the arrangement...i've miced acoustic guitars w/ the NT-5's with great results - they're a very pleasing guitar mic, and the ability to record in stereo can definitely help if it's a simple singer/songwriter type of song...however, if you're working a little bit of acoustic guitar into a "denser" arrangement, you might be better off with the shure and recording in mono

True, I was thinking solo, which would sound better with stereo miking

Well, if you could get all three then you can get some really amazing tracks, I actually used all three of these on a recent recording of an acoustic guitar and was really impressed. I used the traditional xy position for the rode micrphones then walked around the guitar while the guitarist was playing and found what appeared to be the sweet spot (which happened to be above the guitarist and a few feet infront of him, but is different depending on the room and the guitar) and placed the ksm there. this produced amazing results and the end product was great. One of my other favorite methods for acoustic guitar, is using 2 Nuemann U87's in a mid side approach.

Well, if you are willing to spend $700 on a KSM44 you may find other pairs of SD mics in that price range that you would like better than the Rodes--maybe not. For example, you can buy Josephson C42's at Atlas for $399 each. AT 4041 SDs cost about $280 each (you can actually get them for $200 each Bulk Pack from 8th Street). I know there are other great acou guit mics out there in that price range also.

If your only need is to record accoustical instruments, I agree with the matched pair of Josephson C42s, I'm preparing to purchase a pair myself, hopefully within the next 2 weeks. If your needs will include vocals, the KSM44 is a good mic for the price.

Would an acoustic guitar sound better miced XY with 2 matched rode NT5's or with one shure ksm44 (or a better condensor for the same price they you could recommend)?

IMHO the ksm44 is a substantially better mic than the nt5's.

A couple questions:

1. What mic pre will you be using?

2. What stile of playing (fingerpicking sgtrumming etc.)

If you like the sound of your guitar, you'll love the ksm44 (especially for finger picking).

The preamp does really make a difference with the ksm44 on strummed acoustic. For example I love the sound of my martin dx1 with the ksm44 into sebatron pre for finger picking, but I'm not a big fan of this combo for strumming (all my sd mics ound better on strumming through the sebatron).

However if I use the ksm44 with my davisound preamp, it is amaizing on strumming. I don't even have to eq it normally. It isn't harsh, blends into the mix nicely (but without getting lost).

I would agree with other comments - If you want sd condensers look at at4041/4051, joshephson, etc.

josephsens's look good, maybe ill save up a little longer for a pair of km84's. we'll see how fast i can get get some cash i suppose.

Back