acoustic "kits"

BigKahuna

I'm going to fix up the acoustic control in my studio very soon ... and, of course, must explore the least labor-intesive options available (I'm so very very lazy).
So, we all have probably seen the auralex"roominator" for sale ...
there's a couple other options around, too ... like
London-16
and
studio in a box

Here's my questions ...
Is it even possible to correctly treat a room using a pre-designed kit like these examples?
Isn't acoustic treatment inherently unique for the room being treated?
If these kits are effective for a project studio ... how about trying to apply them to a room that's not exactly rectangular (as they all seem to be designed for)?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. It seems to me that a kit like these (if they worked) would save much time, effort and confusion. If the end result is crap, though ... well, it would be better to DIY and/or hire a design consultant.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for your replies.
Dave

Thanks for your post, darrin

I guess you could consider what I have a small room. It's about 11' x16' ... and this London-16 is designed for a 12' x 16' space. The studio room is about the same dimension as the control room.
Except for a knockout in the room for the door ... i'll post a pic of the floorplan and layout I'm thinking of.
btw, the monitors aren't soffit mounted ... yet. It only looks that way on this pic because I was trying to see if I could get away with it in this small space.
thanks again for your responses
Dave

Attachments

• monitormount_a.jpg
    monitormount_a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 88
I recently bought Sound Studio Construction on a Budget by F. Alton Everest. One very interesting point: rigid fiberglass insulation is every bit as good an absorber as that expensive foam. It's actually better since a given piece of rigid fiberglass is comparable to studio foam twice as thick. There is also no conclusive evidence that glass fiber is dangerous at all.

"The value of Sonex is that it is a complete product that is ready to apply to wall while glass fiber requires framing and a cover. Some consumers apppreciate the dramatic appearance of Sonex, and use it to enhance the appearance of their studio."

I'm cheaper than I am lazy.

thanks for that ap!
you're right .. i might just wait a couple months until I have time to build my own stuff custom for these rooms. I'm not too concerned about appearance, but I'm sure I can make something that looks good and is still functional. What I don't know is exactly what to put where or how much. I want to do this right the first time, for once. Maybe I'll pay someone to be my friend, since advice from hr.com doesn't really seem to be materializing. ;) I will check out that book, too.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. :)
Dave

One thing about that book: it has alot of useful, authoritative info but neither the chapters nor text is very well organized. The first half is devoted to specific cases, and the last is theory. If you're just quick scanning at the bookstore, it would be easy to look at one chapter and think it's not useful. I've found it much easier to read the theory first since none of the specific cases matched mine very well.

Back