Acoustic Guitar

Hi Tom, the sound of the guitar is good although a little "roomy". Sounds like you have the microphones at least a foot or more away from the guitar. Try moving them right up close, a couple of inches maybe. When I record acoustic guitar, the mikes are about 1 inch away from the fretboard on one side and the bridge on the other.

The squeaks are part of an acoustic guitar sound, dont let them get to you. We all do that :)

Thanks ! Yeah I have them about 10-12 inches away so I will try being closer from now on, as for the squeaks I was only trying to get rid of them cause quite a few people on Youtube when they have recorded acoustics they sound perfect and no squeaks, nothing just the chord and thats it.

The squeaks I hear are due to pick angle. That CAN happen if you hold the guitar too low so your hand is sweeping across the strings at an angle. Just try straightening up your strumming hand a little. The pick should be at an angle so it sweeps across the strings better but it sounds like the pick is sliding along the strings as you strum.

If you try to EQ the squeaks out, you are going to take some of the dynamics of the guitar with it. Use EQ sparingly. Work on your guitar technique first and bring those mikes in closer. Would love to hear another recording

Are you using both mics on this? It sounds a little bit shimmery/chorusy maybe due to some phase issue.

If you are doing stereo recording, try x/y, or spaiced pairs each same distance from the guitar, one angled toward body at 12th fret, the other somewhere around the bridge (i usually go a little bit behind and below the bridge to avoid boominess). Then I'd usually pan the two tracks that seems to make them sound fuller.

My two bits of advice are 1) use one mic only for a bit until you get something you're really happy with, then try stereo, and 2) stay away from the EQ until you have the best sound you can get. EQ is not bad but it can quickly become a crutch.

Anyway, not bad at all, keep playing with it and you'll get a sound you love!

Sounds better. Each experiment should yield better and better results. It's kinda hard to judge and give some constructive criticism of the guitar sound with the reverb.

Thanks, yeah I didn't really think about the reverb until you mentioned it. But I'm happier with the sound I've got now, If I have time tomorrow I will make another short clip

Back