Acoustic guitar shopping

jimmi

I set time aside today to start looking for a quality acoustic guitar. I had planned for this to be the first of many days trying out different guitars in different shops. I dont mind spending a bit more money than I probably should because it's what I enjoy spending time doing the most.. banging away on acoustic that is. I thought I wanted a dread but wanted to try out auditoriums too. I decided to try martin out first thinking I'd be blown away so I played a few dreads and was thoroughly dissapointed. Gutted even. It was nowhere near the mind blowing experience I was expecting - my first play of a martin guitar and it just felt and sounded so ordinary. All 5 or 6 of them I tried did nothing for me.

So before I headed home dissapointed having wasted an hour and a half I decided to try a different body size to see what it felt like. So I picked up a 16 series jumbo with a cutaway "knowing" it wasn't what I was after.... I was blown away! I didn't want to put it down. The wider neck that initially I thought would be a hassle and fatiguing turned out to suit me perfectly. The body is comfortable as fook and the guitar just sounds fuller than anything I've ever played. So from dissapointed to full on excited in a matter of minutes.

I could have very easily just ordered what I was thinking I wanted off the net and dealt with the dissapointment. Now I'm fighting the temptation to go back tomorrow and pay something off the jumbo. That would be the end of my guitar shopping for a long time though. It just felt perfect. I think I'm sold.

Well that's great.

I've bought 2 acoustics in the past 5 years:

Taylor 110
Martin Dx1

I'm underwhelmed by both of them. I'm 0 from 2.

Best value I ever got in an accoustic was a Seagull S6 Folk (smaller than a dread.) 'Course, I only paid $70 for it, but they are still a great value at $200 used, or about $400 new...

I set time aside today to start looking for a quality acoustic guitar. I had planned for this to be the first of many days trying out different guitars in different shops. I dont mind spending a bit more money than I probably should because it's what I enjoy spending time doing the most.. banging away on acoustic that is. I thought I wanted a dread but wanted to try out auditoriums too. I decided to try martin out first thinking I'd be blown away so I played a few dreads and was thoroughly dissapointed. Gutted even. It was nowhere near the mind blowing experience I was expecting - my first play of a martin guitar and it just felt and sounded so ordinary. All 5 or 6 of them I tried did nothing for me.

So before I headed home dissapointed having wasted an hour and a half I decided to try a different body size to see what it felt like. So I picked up a 16 series jumbo with a cutaway "knowing" it wasn't what I was after.... I was blown away! I didn't want to put it down. The wider neck that initially I thought would be a hassle and fatiguing turned out to suit me perfectly. The body is comfortable as fook and the guitar just sounds fuller than anything I've ever played. So from dissapointed to full on excited in a matter of minutes.

I could have very easily just ordered what I was thinking I wanted off the net and dealt with the dissapointment. Now I'm fighting the temptation to go back tomorrow and pay something off the jumbo. That would be the end of my guitar shopping for a long time though. It just felt perfect. I think I'm sold.

I own a Martin MC16-GTE - not their top-of-the-line model (that'd be the D-16, in this body shape), but a very nice guitar nonetheless. I love the thing. :D

I've got a lot of acoustic playing hours, but I haven't played a whole lot of them. I've got an early 1970s Martin D-28 that's kind of difficult to play (but perhaps not after I get it back from the shop where it is now), but sounds really good. I've also played new Martins in the store that don't seem that great.

One brand that consistently blows me away is Collings - they're not cheap even here in Texas (I've toured the factory in Austin - it's cool), and I'm not sure of their price/availability across the pond, but wow - amazing sound that jumps out and takes over the room, and a dream to play...

With the plethora of small volume luthiers, there's probably never been a better time, in terms of choice, to buy a guitar.

Play everything you can lay your hands on.

That said, I've gravitated to OM and Parlour sized guitars. IMHO, easier to play (I'm not a big person), more even sound, and easier to record.

I've got a couple good dread sized guitars, but they hardly get played anymore.

I usually play either a 1966 B-25 (with a Sunrise Pup) or a 1961 O-18 the most. I also have four other Parlour or OM sized guitars that get played from time to time.

It will also make a difference as to what kind of music you are playing (dreads are almost a necessity for bluegrass) and whether you are playing solo fingerstyle or as part of an ensemble (need to cut through).

Once you buy one, have it professionally set up by a good luthier. Makes a hell of a difference.

The biggest problem I've found when shopping in stores and trying out thier "wall hangers" is they are never properly set up, have the factory strings on them that could be 5+ years old, and so many people have tried them out yet they are never ever cleaned, and the dust/grungy build up totally destroys the tone.

thats why you pick up a $3000 guitar and it plays and sounds like crap and just doesn't make sense that they are trying to sell it for so much, it's been sitting there forever..... at least thats my experience.

I would recommend finding a brand and body that your comfortable playing and then if your serious about getting a decent guitar, contact the actual maker and inquire as to the level of quality for each model, then make an informed decision. From there, order an untouched factory direct guitar through your local rep or online supplier/reseller.

I recently did this, bought a nice Quilt Top Jasmine by Takamine through musicians friend, and ya I had to wait a couple weeks because it was a special order, but once I got the guitar and got it set up... I am playing a $600 guitar that IMO plays and sounds like a $2000 guitar. Set up is Key too, especially if your getting it shipped to a different climate.

I have two acoustic steel strings. One is a 1981 Yamaha FG-340-II that cost me $180 new. The other is a 2007 Larrivee LVE-09 that cost me $1,800. The Yamaha is the best value I've ever seen. Plays like a dream and has lasted all these years without any troubles at all. The Larrivee is a great fingerstyle guitar, plays like a dream. I wouldn't part with either one. Depending on your budget, I recommend either one. Yamaha is currently making some great solid top guitars under $400 and the Larrivees are just outstanding in every way, however, a little on the expense (relatively speaking) side.

rpe

I bought the martin jc-16 and love it. Couldn't be happier with it. I'm loving the wider neck so much that I've even thought about switching my strats neck for something wider. But I love that strat so I doubt I'll change anything on it.

Maybe a tele with a nice wide neck is in my future. It'd be nice to have something to make embellishing(sp?) chords high up the neck easier - my fat fingers get in the way on the strat.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. Amazing how one purchase leads to considering another though. It never ends.

Once you buy one, have it professionally set up by a good luthier. Makes a hell of a difference.
Oh my goodness! I got back my "middle aged" martin from a good setup last week and felt like a complete idiot for hurting myself with it for the last 25 years. I then took another acoustic I have in, and there was massive difference. I can recommend a great shop if you're around Houston, TX.

Back