Acoustic Guitar Recording

jrieggs

Hi all! I just recorded a little test for acoustic guitar and was hoping you all could give me some pointers and such!(what I should try, what you would have done and so on) I literally have no idea what I'm doing really. I just move stuff around until it sounds okay (To me!) So I used a pretty crappy acoustic with and mxl 990 about six inches away from the 12th fret. I added a little bit of compression, some eq, and some reverb. Thanks!

Attachments

• mixed 1.mp3
    386.8 KB · Views: 42
To me it sounds okay, but a little boxy, with a prevalence of low-mid frequencies. I might cut around 100-200 Hz and slightly boost around 7-10kHz. Some of the peaks sound a little harsh too. But it's really going to depend on what else is around it in the mix. Is it just going to be guitar alone? Or will it sit with a bunch of other instruments?

If it's guitar alone, I might suggest panning the guitar slightly to one side, and panning some of the reverb or echo far on the other side, to give a feeling of stereo depth.

I doesn't sound too bad to me but as above, giving an opinion on acoustic guitar sound is limited until you know the context of the song to which it will be in. I also have an MXL990 and use it from time to time for Acoustic. It's a bright mic. I like it for vocals.

I added a little bit of compression, some eq, and some reverb.

Why did you add a little of this, that and the other? Did it need it? What did it sound like without? :thumbs up:

Back