Acoustic Guitar Problems

Nalencer

I tried to record my acoustic/electric guitar by plugging it straight into the board, and all I got was a low rumbly sound. You could distinguish the chords, but it sounded awful.

When I try to use mics, I get the thing where it sorta "overloads" and the sound phases in and out between regular level and quiter. I probably has something to do with the vibrations, I guess. I tried putting the foam around the mic, but it still does this. The mics are a Behringer B-1 and Behringer XM18000s.

Does your guitar have a battery in it? If so, it sounds like a dead battery to me.

Mic choice and position/placement has everything to do with recording acoustic.

Do a search, there are tons of great tips.

I like a set of SDC's in an XY at the twelth fret, and a LDC a few feet back to capture the ambient sounds......

I ran a search and found a good method.

By the way, I'm glad to see that quote in your sig. At least someone's awake :)

I like to use my Studio Project B1 or one of my Oktava MK012s and just stick it a foot back and aim it at the twelfth fret... I rarely mic in stereo unless it's like ONLY acoustic... but if there are other instruments, it's whatever... whatever sounds good.

I was incorrect. The new setup does not work. The mikes keep phasing in and out and generally sounding horrible. What could be the problem?

Nalencer said:
Didn't see your post, grn. Just tried the single B1 at the 12th fret, works great. Thanks.

GRN was right, I was assuming it was a solo acoustic piece for some reason.

If you were having phase issues with an XY your doing something wrong. Not sure what, but something......

Acoustic guitars should be mic'd at the 12th fret.

The reason you are only getting a low rumbly sound, is because the preamp inside the guitar itself is not powerful enough to send a decent signal. What are the pre-amps like in the board itself? If you are pumping the gains full ball, and the sound is still weak, you need another pre-amp inbetween the guitar and board.

I myself, use a Behringer ultragain tube pre-amp. (http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHMIC100)

I use it for vocals and acoustic guitar, just to get some warmth with multi layered tracks. I too had the problem of the soft rumbly sound, then ran the guitar through this tube preamp, and into the 2 track, and i had volume.

I don't usually like Behringer products, but this ultragain was the best money I ever spent on an external preamp.

Good luck ;)

Back