Acoustic Guitar mixing help

to smooth out the volume you need to do a bit of compression, just not so much that it is audible, i hate hearing audible compression on guitars,.. i think in audition 2.0 there is a preset for guitars that you could use as a starting point. besides compression you could probably also get away with making a volume envelope to bring down the loud spots. also, it may help if you eq some of the low end out of the guitar. i'm sure someone with more experience can give you some specifics on how to set the compressor and all.

good luck
~barry

A lot of that can be fixed with proper mic technique and playing technique. I would retrack it the best you can before trying to apply any compression to it, especially digital compression that will sound nasty if over-used.

If it's too 'boomy' move the mic further from the soundhole and possibly further from the guitar. You may also want to find a better place in your room to record as the room will have a large impact on the recording.

Otherwise, read a tutorial on using a compressor so you know what you're doing.

SouthSIDE Glen has written a very detailed tutorial for this, you can find it in his signature here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/member.php?userid=39600

Mic placement, and skill level of the player have the most impact on tracking acoustic guitar. Try placing your mic between the 5th and 8th fret, and around 16" or 20" away. You'll lose alot of the boominess from the soundhole, and you'll lose a bit of the pick noise if you're getting any.

You can try some light compression to control the dynamics if need be, and you can EQ the muddyness out around 300hz to 500hz with a slight cut...

Here's an example of what I mean: www.myspace.com/davelapham

He records at my studio, and I engineer for him. It's not perfect at all... But he's only been playing for a year, and he needs to get his technique better for recording purposes, but overall, it's a great sound for where he is now.

For that song, I stereo mic'd his guitar. One on the 8th fret, and one on the body. Both mics about 20" away. I added a delay to one of the tracks, and used some light compression as his dynamics were all over the place.

Back