Acoustic guitar mic?

muzeman

Hi,
I am currently using a KM184/Grace/RNC to record acoustic guitars.
The room is decent,and the guitars are good,but not cutting through a full mix as much as I would like them to.

I'm selling the 184,and considering a Lg.Dia. condenser in it's place.
AT's seem to be the choice among Bluegrass players,possibly the 4050 with selectable patterns.
It can always double as a vocal mic too,a nice plus.

Is this a good choice for recording acoustics,or should I be looking elsewhere?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks as always,
Pete

I would think the setup you're using would give pretty good results.

Have you tried "making room" for the guitar in your mixes by cutting some EQ on other similarly-voiced instruments?

Have you tried to mic the guitar 'from over the shoulder'?

Place the 184 next to your right ear, pointing down (of course).

c7sus said:
I would think the setup you're using would give pretty good results.

Have you tried "making room" for the guitar in your mixes by cutting some EQ on other similarly-voiced instruments?

Yes, especially if you are trying to compete with the bass. You may try capoing up the neck as well.

I posted this in another thread, but it didn't get any views. This thread has tdukex's star power so somebody might read it.

I don't know about anybody else, but my home studio is usually a very noisy place. Three kids, a pug, a wife, dishwasher - you know...

I discovered that the Schertler DYN-M, billed as a contact dynamic microphone, that I normally use for live sound with my mandolin, works wonderfully with acoustic guitar in my studio. It's very warm, a bit lacking in top end, but quite rich sounding. They are expensive (around $400), but it lets me record an acoustic at times that I otherwise wouldn't (which is most of the time).

I think that AKG makes a similar product, the 411. I don't know if works as well, though

When did tdukex get "star power"?

EVERYBODY knows I'm the one with true star power around here!

Sorry C7sus, I was confused. You are number one. Tdukex is number two. He may have star power, but you have mega-star power.

If you're going the LD route for acoustic, you would be doing yourself a grave disservice if you don't consider AKG C414B-ULS or C414TL-II or C414EB. Different takes on the same mic, it's been a studio standard for acoustic guitar mic'ing for *many* years, and with good reason. Almost all the acoustic on my upcoming release was recorded with a single 414. It is also a world class mic for percussion, overheads, strings, piano, and a minority of vocalists.-Richie

muzeman said:
I am currently using a KM184/Grace/RNC to record acoustic guitars.
The room is decent,and the guitars are good,but not cutting through a full mix as much as I would like them to.

I'm selling the 184,and considering a Lg.Dia. condenser in it's

Just a few words of basic truth- (assuming your mixing
environment and monitors are accurate...)

Listen...
EQ...
Listen...
EQ.

You've got a very nice signal chain. Great mic, pre's & comp.
If that's the only components in the chain, you should
be able to get anything from "very good" to absolutely "great".
The 184 is considered one of the better SD mics for acoustic.
I'd keep the mic unless it's damaged- very possible.

Plus, your micing technique can make all your nice
gear sound like pure pooh.

Depending on what your mix consists of instrumentally
you should be able to get it done with that list of gear.
Give it time, work it, and LISTEN to the audio landscape.
Complex mixes always require something to be EQ'd
to make room for everything.

Don't just throw more money at it. Plus a LD mic isn't
usually the mic of choice for an acoustic. A great engineer
will find ways to make the most with what they have, and
you've get plenty here for acoustic. Give it time, and listen
and learn.

Sky Pilot

Re: Re: Acoustic guitar mic?

Sky Pilot said:
Depending on what your mix consists of instrumentally
you should be able to get it done with that list of gear.

Agreed.

If you can't get it done with that combo, then you know where the problem lies. :D Chances are you need to experiment more with positioning, EQ, compression, etc. Try brighter, more present strings on the guitar. Try using a heavier pick. Try using a lighter pick. Try a different guitar altogether. The list goes on.

mandocaster said:
Sorry C7sus, I was confused. You are number one. Tdukex is number two. He may have star power, but you have mega-star power.

Thanks for the compliment, mandocaster, but I'm more like a small planetary satelite. :D I know some about recording acoustic guitar on a budget and songwriting, but not much more.

And C7sus is right. He, Richie, and Chessrock have each forgotten more about recording than I have yet learned.

Thanks for the help guys!
Guess I'll have to play around with placement and eq some more.

Richard,what is the difference between the three 414's?
Can you get all three new?

Thanks,
Pete

Well, there's an EB reissue I've heard about, but it is basically discontinued. The TLII has a different capsule based on the c12 flagship vocal mic, and is supposed to be biased towards vocals. It is also transformerless, I think (going on memory here). I like the B-ULS a lot on guitar. What was said above about your signal chain is true. It's very good. It can be just a matter of taste, and the guitar, though. I'm in the minority who have never gotten the acoustic sound I wanted from a SD condenser, even good ones, at least on my guitar.-Richie

P.S.- I've never gotten to use an EB, but they are highly sought after.

Hey Pete

I think the smaller the diaphram = more guitar tracks.
You can tuck a bunch of guitars in the mix... prob because your dealing with less low-mid freq. than a LC.

A large condensor is the way to go with a solo guitar... nice big broad sound.

Ive never used one... but its seems like it makes sense. :)

good luck!

I say a pair of mco12's should do the trick :)

Back