Acoustic guitar mic...suggestions/recommendations for moving up.

drbluezz

I'm currently recording acoustic guitar with a stereo pair of Audio Technica AT 4041s. I think I'm getting great results. Very transparent, neutral, and open sounding mic. However, I'm always looking for something better for this application. Maybe there is nothing truly better, just different? I already have some superb vocal mics. Don't need any more of those. Are there any SDC mics that are genuinely better for acoustic guitar and mandolin? I think they would be tough to find, based on my results so far. However, there are people here far more experienced at recording than me. I'd be interested in hearing comments from some experienced recordists. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to hear from those experienced with the AT 4041 along with other high high quality SDC mics that are perhaps at the Neumann, Earthworks, Schoeps, level of mics. Thank you.

Tom

Had the At 4041 as well as several other AKG of that series. Very nice mics for the money no doubt.

Yes, sure subjectively better LDCs out there (u can find many referenced easily), SDCs yes, and another option is to add a ribbon.

Personally, I might get a nice ribbon mic to mix with the LDC. You are probably getting some nice high end sheen, so a nice ROyer, AEA, even a cheaper cascade would give you some warm round tones that might give a nice contrast to blend. You do need a pre with clean gain, maybe u have it, 50-70 db clean gain with the ribbon, sometimes less if mic has good output. ROyer maybe r101, sf1, could be 121, AEA R84, 840, Cascade Fathead.

As for SDC, closer in sound to the LDC but still could be a nice nice addition, of course budget is key again, Schoeps CMC, DPA 4011 etc...., Neumann KM84 nice nice, but..... cheaper I personally like the Beyerdynamic MC930s, and the MC830 or Opus83, all are relatively flat with a noticeable but nice hi bump. I like the way these sound, they are quite warm sounding for SDCs and might contrast nicely. They are also nicely built mics, I have had 8 Opus83s for 10 years and they look and perform like new and a Pair of MC930 for a few years no issues, well built mics. High SPl handlingg and low noise.

Haven't done AC guitar in a while but would love to. Last one was with Archtop acoustics, which I was playing and tracking for some others. I was putting an SDC directed at F-hole, one at approx 12 fret, an LDC centered back a bit, and I was putting a stereo pair of ribbons up. No amps.

Best of luck!

I'm currently recording acoustic guitar with a stereo pair of Audio Technica AT 4041s. I think I'm getting great results. Very transparent, neutral, and open sounding mic. However, I'm always looking for something better for this application. Maybe there is nothing truly better, just different? I already have some superb vocal mics. Don't need any more of those. Are there any SDC mics that are genuinely better for acoustic guitar and mandolin? I think they would be tough to find, based on my results so far. However, there are people here far more experienced at recording than me. I'd be interested in hearing comments from some experienced recordists. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to hear from those experienced with the AT 4041 along with other high high quality SDC mics that are perhaps at the Neumann, Earthworks, Schoeps, level of mics. Thank you.

Tom

Have you thought of recording with a semi-acoustic guitar?

Have you thought of recording with a semi-acoustic guitar?

You're asking a bluegrasser that?!!! Blasphemy!! LOL!! Just kiddin. No, we tend to be obstinate, ultra-purists. Some of us (not me) will use sound hole mics, etc. But most bluegrass guys tend to avoid any kind of electronics whatsoever except maybe a tuner or the PA system. I've yet to hear any pickup/sound hole mic that didn't impart an electrified sound to an acoustic guitar. Some sound better than others. But to my ears they all sound, well, "electric" to some extent. Serious bluegrass players go to extreme lengths to find the finest sounding acoustic guitars money can buy. Usually square shouldered dreadnaughts with an occasional slope shouldered dreadnaught sprinkled here and there. We (bluegrass purists) don't want anything "connected" to the guitar except a strap. We can be very eccentric about it. Not that we're right. We just...are. Hope that answers your question.

Tom

I'm currently recording acoustic guitar with a stereo pair of Audio Technica AT 4041s. I think I'm getting great results.

So, why do you need new mics?
What's wrong about your AT's?
Unless you are dead set to throw money out of the window I would really try to pinch down what I dislike about the stuff I have or what need I have to tackle, before buying new stuff.

Just my two cents.

Keep using what works. Maybe try moving them around a bit (placement). Save your money for new strings lol

Neumann TLM102 pair would be a good choice, but much better would be 2x U89i or TLM193 but you'll have to sell your house, wife, car and donate your left nut and pancreas for it.

I've been playing around with acoustic setups getting ready for a session in a couple of weeks and I'm finding I'm liking what we're getting on some scratch tracks with a TLM102 about 18" off the 12the fret angled slightly toward the sound hole and a Cascade fathead Ribbon over the shoulder with the front of the figure 8 pointing straight down parallel with the sound board and the back of the mic catching reflections off the ceiling
I'm squashing the ribbon mic a bit with an 1176 clone and gently squeezing the TLM 102 with an art pro VLA with kinda sorta LA2A ish settings

I'm also finding I'm liking the TLM 102 a lot better with a lower input impedance setting. When I run it via my desk or my interface pres both of which are 2k ohm input impedance I just am not liking the sound compared with running it through an outboard pre with a variable input impedance set to 300 ohms. I was actually considering getting rid of the TLM until I tried the low impedance settings (maybe I just like the sound of that pre better)

I don't know if that's a step up but so far the sounds on the scratch tracks/rehearsals are very favorable

Back