Acoustic guitar mic recommendation (sound expectations inside)

MidoBan

Hi, i want to get a mic for recording acoustic guitar. since its my first one, i don't want a pair for now, i prefer to start simple. i'll write some words to describe the sound i'm after, so you get the general idea:
woody, dry, earthy, smooth, not hyped high end, think an old gibson j-50.

i'm open for both ribbons and sdc's.
the room is acoustically treated, using only a focusrite saffire pro 24, budget is up to 400$.

does ribbon mics need a dedicated preamp, or will be ok with the saffire?

Thanks!

Audio Technica 4033.
In general, ribbons need a preamp with a lot of clean gain. I don't know if your Saffire is up to it or not.

Saffire will be up to it. I use Cascade Fatheads and run them into the pro 40 (same preamps), and they are fine.

I would recommend an SDC first like the Oktava, and a Fathead second.

I've never used AT 4033 so I can't speak to that. SDCs are a good place to start, and what most people really like. In a mix they are great. Solo, I have started to prefer LDCs and the Fatheads.

Just to present a contrary opinion, I can't stand the SM81. I can usually identify its tone blindfolded. It's kind of thin sounding. The MK-012 is probably a bit dark for guitar, but I can't say that I've never tried mine on it. I do like the MSH series of mics (Naiant) in limited testing. They're omni, so your room has to not totally suck, but they're a good low-cost choice.

Just to present a contrary opinion, I can't stand the SM81. I can usually identify its tone blindfolded. It's kind of thin sounding.

I like SM81s just fine, but it would absolutely not be my recommendation for someone who wants an acoustic guitar sound that's "woody, dry, earthy, smooth, not hyped high end". Nor would the Octava MC012 for that matter, although I'd probably reach for it before the SM81.

Nah, for "woody, dry, earthy, smooth, not hyped high end" steel string acoustic guitar, I'd probably grab a moving-coil dynamic (Electro-Voice RE15 or RE16, Sennheiser MD441, or Beyer M88) or a ribbon. If ya gotta do it with a cheap condenser, try a RODE NT5 or a KEL HM-1.

Just to present a contrary opinion, I can't stand the SM81. I can usually identify its tone blindfolded. It's kind of thin sounding. The MK-012 is probably a bit dark for guitar, but I can't say that I've never tried mine on it. I do like the MSH series of mics (Naiant) in limited testing. They're omni, so your room has to not totally suck, but they're a good low-cost choice.

Gotta agree with everything you say here dgatwood! ;)

Anyone want to purchase some 81's? :p

I would not recommend the NT5 for that sound. I have been trying to get the same sound and the NT5 is not it. No suggestions though, sorry.

You mean capsules from the 80's Paul?

I'm thinkin' he means the SM80 capsules that make the 81's into an omni. oops! I see this has been mentioned.

Also, to the gallery I have this word of advice: Don't record anything with an SM81 unless you want it to sound like the source. i.e. if your guitar sounds like crap, do not record it with an SM81.

I like SM81s just fine, but it would absolutely not be my recommendation for someone who wants an acoustic guitar sound that's "woody, dry, earthy, smooth, not hyped high end". Nor would the Octava MC012 for that matter, although I'd probably reach for it before the SM81.

Nah, for "woody, dry, earthy, smooth, not hyped high end" steel string acoustic guitar, I'd probably grab a moving-coil dynamic (Electro-Voice RE15 or RE16, Sennheiser MD441, or Beyer M88) or a ribbon. If ya gotta do it with a cheap condenser, try a RODE NT5 or a KEL HM-1.

This man is correct. A dynamic will definitely get you closer to that sound.

Back