Acoustic guitar instrumentals, first time at this forum

Very, very nice!

I just finished listening to "Humility" and I'm downloading "Hidden Beat" as I write this. I'm hearing quite a bit of hiss so I'm guessing you did this to tape. Around 2:00 where you're doing the slap rhythm I'm getting some distortion from the low end, too. I'm thinking a little EQ touch-up would do the trick.

So there's the critique - now I can tell you how much I like this piece. I like the depth and breadth of your tone canvas - you're all over the spectrum - very Metheny-ish. Masterful playing - not a flaw that I could detect. You're a player - that's for sure.

The strings are really nice - maybe that's the analog difference!

Just listened to 'Hidden Beat' . Once again -very nice guitar sound. But you got off the beat a bit in a couple places. And being the rhytnm freak that I am I found it distracting. You might just dump the drum machine and let this one play with the beat truly hidden. Ended very abruptly.

OK - here comes 'Simplicity' - rich strings again - complimentary to the guitar playing without overshadowing. That rumble is present again - really low. I think some EQ'ing would clear it up. But hey, this is "Homrecording.com" not pro-studio.com.

Overall I really like your playing and composition. Very r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g. If I may offer some more advice, you may want to post a couple of these tunes at NoWhereRadio.com. A lot of the folks here are not too keen about Soundclick because of the registering issue. I only give you this advice so more people here take the time to listen to your music. I think they'll like it.

So now tell me you hang out with all those heavy acoustic cats around Osnabruck.

Nice listen - thanks for sharing!!
Milan

Board Expectations

Hey Andre,

Nice to have you onboard !

Without even downloading your tunes, already I know you are a good guitar player, because I trust what MC Gitarz has to say in a review. He is a fine guitar player himself, an excellent singer also, he has a lot to offer in a review.

Generally it is my experience that new persons to the board who offer 'multiple' songs at once for others to listen to and review, usually have no intention of 'participating' in the board.

I am not saying this is the case with you.

The BEST way for you to learn how to mix your music better, is to review other's posting and especially review other new board members, (with low post numbers).

And I don't think you should review as many other posters, and you get reviews. It's not the quantity of your reviews, it's your intention.

Even if you just have something very funny to say, make a joke, whatever, we can enjoy that also ! :D

Welcome to the board.

How did you find the board ?

I've just finished listening to Humility as I type this. I would definitely pay money for this music. It's simple, beautifully played, and very well thought out. I'll leave the more technical analysis to others, but artistically, I thought it was terrific.

Moving on to Freaky Waves, I don't care for the drums. They're both too stiff and to prominent. Hidden Beat, I have the same response, like everything but the drums.

Simplicity is nice. I'd have liked it better if I hadn't listened to Humility first.

My one real comlaint about this material, other than the drums, is that there's not enough variation in either the tempos or feel, but it's very beautiful music and well played. It does remind me of the New Chitaqua era Pat Metheny.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed reviews JIM and MC Guitarz.
TRACK RAT, I did put two songs on nowhereradio, so you may give them a try.
STUDIOVOLS, thanks for your welcome. I found this forum through nowhereradio, when I first posted a song there I was impressed by the detailed and rich knowledgement here in this forum.
My english is not that good, so forgive my mistakes.

All I can say is WOW

Definitely a little hiss from the analog recording but it's worth it for the recording.

You are way up there as far as talent goes. Really nice stuff.

Welcome to the board! I like the pieces--very tasty.

Welcome new-guy

I'm checking out Blue Breath and finding it to be very simple and beautiful music, really rather relaxing tune.
Try retracking this song with LESS effects, maybe just a very simple reverb.
I suggest this because I think the melody is strong enough to stand on it's own a little more.

Welcome aboard BTW.

Blue Breath:

Wow, this is gorgeous! Warmth and richness are the only words that come to mind. The low end needs a bit of control on the louder bass notes.
Smooth and sweet!

A-

Freaky waves:

The drum machine in this is a put off. the licks are nice and the guitars are silky like the ones in Blue Breath. Same problem with a couple rouge bass notes.
compositionwise this gets a bit slow but makes great mood music. I can hear you trying to change up the beat a bit but it doesn't come across very naturally.

C+

Please post some more of your stuff on Nowhere!

Blue Breath-

Very very nice mood. Given me a slight Michael Hedges vibe. Good playing and nice melody ideas. I think the low mids might be a bit boomy. I also think the recording could use a little more natural sparkle in the 15-20k range. Also I hope we can get rid of that hiss too. :) Takes a lot away from the guitar tracks doesn't it.

Good stuff man. Take care.

Tom

Blue Breathe--------sounds great..........I even kinda like the hiss :)

Kinda reminds me of my stuff, except mine also has little pops and cracks like an old record :)

Freaky Waves-------Too many thing happening with the drums.....and....ummmm they are a little "too" fake sounding.

A little too fast for the music. They need to be more mellow like the guitar.

All in all a great sound. Keep it up man

......lata.........

not my type. relaxing... almost TOO relaxing. it sounds good, though. i would definitely put it in a soundtrack to something.

Freaky Waves
----------------------------------
Drums are loud in the intro. Fade the drums in.
Bass is Booooooming ... rattles speakers at 00:42, some distortion from Bass, compress bass.

Drums continue to be too loud.

Guitar is very, very nice. I am jamming with viola, very soulful, tasteful.

I think a bit to much delay, we can enjoy maybe more of the guitar with less delay ... contradiction yes ? :D

From 1:57 to 2:04, the scale ascending, delay is good there, appropriate. Other places, for contrast, less delay will be good.

I hear the murmering of a mind, contemplation, you connect !

Oh my, drums kill me in the outro :D

------------------------------------------
blue breath
------------------------------------------

Yes, hiss. You can record this hiss. Record hiss only, and then in Soundforge and other programs, you can remove this hiss to some degree. SoundForge or CoolEdit listens to the hiss, and then makes an analysis, then applies the analysis to remove the hiss, and remove the hiss only. But you must record about 30 seconds of this hiss, and ONLY the hiss for the pure analysis.

And again, maybe TOO much reverb on the guitars, bass booooms again but no distortion or crackle, so bass does not boom 'maximum' but very close.

Yes, compress bass, must compress bass.

bass blow up whole room at 2:08 and it does then 'crackle' and 'distort'.

Review others please, if only Peddulist in Dutch then :D .

I jam with a beautiful heart to this on viola ... very nice !

Thank you for sharing.

Welcome to the board! :D

Listening to Freaky Waves on headphones. You have a lot going on in this piece and I like that.

Mix-wise, I think the reverb may be a bit over-used on this piece (imho) ... It kind of sounds like it is making the entire thing distort just a tad. Also the bass end of this sounds very boomy in places. Maybe just some eq can fix that.

Very nice playing. I didn't care for the drums too much, but that is preference really...they sound too obvious drum-machine but I do understand limitations so I don't think that is such a big deal...

Overall a nice piece of music, maybe just needs a bit of mixing work and a bit less verb -- imho -- :)

:D

Back