Acoustic Guitar Brands

gdavi1

Im looking to buy an acoustic guitar.
I've done some searching on craigslist and have seen alot for around 100-200
I want to do a lil recording with the guitar

What are some brands to stay away from

a friend said a mitchell would be good for my needs

When buying a cheap guit for a beginner friend of mine, the best < $200 guit I found at guit center was a $150 Mitchell dread. It had a solid top, nice fit and finish, and sounded very good. I was amazed. Action was a little stiffer than I like, but not bad really. IMO it was better than any of the epis, fenders, yammys, etc. in that price range, so I talked the sales guru down to $120 out the door.

Look around... you never know what you will find. I picked up a used Seagull S Folk recently, for under $200. Heck of a little guitar for that price.

In that price range the guitars to look at are Seagulls and Yamahas. You might find a beat up Big Baby Taylor, too.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

In your price range, forget about the name on the headstock. Play as many instruments as you can and buy the one you like best.

If at all possible, take a friend who plays with you. Have him/her play while you stand in front and listen from a few feet away. Someone at the store probably play it for you if a friend is unavailable.

In that price range the guitars to look at are Seagulls and Yamahas. You might find a beat up Big Baby Taylor, too.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Must get tired of being right..... but you are.....again......

A true deal on an acoustic for pro use might be as low as 200-300$.I am thinking if it's for learning on,you can probably go there-if you're a competent player.Otherwise,I would say,my latest buy,a 1995 Taylor 710,is the more likely scenario,purchased used off CL for about half the going rate,retail.

Hey, I've been playing a Jasmine s-34C and enjoying it plenty, the sound is alittle bright, but it's got a nice natural finish and a pretty comfortable feel. I still have the stock strings on, I bet with some nicer strings it'll really open up. I kind of wish it had a pickup, but it was only 80 bucks, it's an amazing guitar for the price.

The guitar sounds nice capo'd. I'd suggest getting a G7th capo, because they're awesome, and you'll find you can have fun with just knowing about 30 songs if you can just move them around key-wise. =P

Aria, Washburn, Seagull, etc. are pretty nice in this price range, but go with what suits you.

I'm gonna beat a couple of almost dead horses (sorry Eight Belles).

You have to play a bunch of 'em. That's true at any price range, but even moreso at this more economical level.

While doing so, look for Seagulls. You might find a gem in another brand, but Seagull's philosophy seems to be more about the wood and construction and less about the pretty.

My Seagull was new, and out of your price range. But at $800 it sounded and played like a bunch of $2000 guitars I tried. So maybe $200 or $300 you find one that plays like the other $500 or $600 guitars you try. Good luck!

Brands to look for: Seagull, Art and Lutherie (solid cedar top parlour model for under 200 new)

Brands to avoid: Fender.

Simon & Patrick, Godin, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, LaPatrie are all made by LaSiDo, Inc. All offer very good value for the money. The list of appointments varies with Seagull and Godin generally being their "better" brands. All of them are worth trying along with Yamaha. Look at used guitars as well.

http://www.answers.com/topic/lasido-inc?cat=biz-fin

FWIW, I own a Godin Acousticaster, an Art & Lutherie Ami (parlour size guitar I bought for my daughter) and an older FG series Yamaha. All are very decent and playable guitars.

Last edited:
Back