Acoustic guitar - better left in case or on stand?

downatone

I searched this forum for the answer to this, but can't find it - so I figure its time to post...

When not being played, is it better for my acoustic guitar to be left in its case or sitting out on a stand? How does climate, location (ex. basement), etc... affect this?

cheers
:: downatone ::

ANY guitar should be left IN THE CASE anytime you are not playing it. First of all, it is far easier to control the climate inside of a case (which has a total volume of just a few cubic feet) than a whole room (hundreds of cubic feet).

Second of all, guitars fall off of stands, and they do it a lot. Oh, I know, you're saying, "how do they fall of the stand if they have that plastic lock thing on them?" Fine, put them on the stand, and see what happens. You got kids? Think they can pay to repair a broken neck at somewhere between $100-$400? How about a dog? Woof,woof, BANG! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitars are ALWAYS safest in the case. Why risk it?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

my acoustic is on a stand. i recently discovered a dent in the side of it. cat's must have knocked it over at some point.

I've got a stack of guitars in cases on my couch. :)

When I was living at home, in the studio room we had some wall hangers fairly high up the wall and I felt secure with them up there as long as the studio door was closed.

my2cents said:
my acoustic is on a stand. i recently discovered a dent in the side of it. cat's must have knocked it over at some point.
So...how did they manage to get it back up on the stand so that you didn't notice it? :confused:

My cat or dog knocked my Larrivee D-05 off the stand a few years back. The result was a 3" hairline fracture in the side. Cost $300 to repair. I don't even leave my guits on the stand unattended for even a few minutes anymore.

While it sure it safer in a case (both from damage and weather probs), I have to say that I wouldn't play mine nearly as much (during commercials, etc.), if it wasn't in a stand right next to the couch. This may not apply to you since you mentioned the basement, but think about that aspect. If the case is gonna deter you from picking it up, then maybe it's not such a great option.

I left my Strat on the stand...and well my 3 year old borther decided to do some cleaning with "Shout" (laundry detergant), and sprayed the headstock of my guitar...well It left spots that i cant get out. I'd go with the case. And if your worried about the climate...get a humidifier for the acoustic..I really hope this acoustic is like a high end taylor or martin or something and not a Media Play Fender Squire acoustic...

It's safer and better for them to leave in the case but I leave mine out anyway, on stands and wall hangers, because I like looking at them and having them right there to grab and play. I tend to forget about the ones I leave in the cases.

woah!!

my2cents said:

The amazing thing is that the cats put it back without you even noticing!!

Because I am not pro, I find if I leave my acoustic in its case I am often too lazy to get it out for a play. I already pretty much am too lazy to record, I don't want to stop playing altogether!

Back