Acoustic Guitar - ambient noise

mmonline

I am new to recording, have learned a lot about both the software and getting a decent recording - plus when/where to add various effects and filters. However, I ran into this problem recently.

I was recording my acoustic guitar, finger picking style, so quieter than when using a pick, and could hear this whistling. I couldn't figure out what it was until I suddenly realized that it was my nose... ouch..

So I reduced the mic sensitivity/gain and that worked except I had to position the mic closer to the guitar - and I could hear my fingers on the strings - more than I liked..

Other than experimentation between the mic levels, the guitar position, etc. - what else can I do to ensure my breathing (the nose whistle was thankfully mostly cold related and is not an ongoing sound) and finger picking sounds are reduced while getting enough volume to make the recording useful?

I also thought about creating some type of shield to isolate the guitar and microphone more... any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Try close mic techniques. Try to get less room on the track, and you won't get all the breathing noises.

Try using dynamic mics versus condensors, which will pick up everything.

Try the over-the-shoulder mic placement, where the mic is pointing down from over your playing hand shoulder, and you'll pick up more of the guitar and less of your hands.

Halls Menthol-Eucalyptis may help out the most. I like the cherry flavored ones myself ;). Also, perhaps some practice in regulating your breathing a bit.

Consider mic selection and position to a degree; mic sleection as far as using a cardioid instead of an omni, and then if you can position it to provide maximum rejection of sounds coming from your nose; e.g. set the mic body a bit higher and angle it down a bit toward the guitar instead of pointig it straight in or up.

G.

So I reduced the mic sensitivity/gain and that worked except I had to position the mic closer to the guitar - and I could hear my fingers on the strings - more than I liked..

Mic sensitivity and gain are two compeltely different things.

Sensitivity is fixed, and you're not going to have any control over that outside of swapping the mic out. Gain is something you do have control over, but all it does is volume. You certainly won't have any control over the ratio of noise whistling to the guitar, unfortunately. :D Moving the mic closer to the guitar -- is a little more on target.

Thanks,
Matt
Not sure what you're tracking with but make sure your input level on your mixer is set to maximize the signal. The reason you had to move closer once you reduced the gain is probably because you're picking up too much of the room's sound. An isolation booth would work much better but in lieu of that just stand up a hardshell guitar case behind the mic to stop the room reflections from being so dominant and then you shouldn't have to move all that close to the mic.

I also thought about creating some type of shield to isolate the guitar and microphone more... any ideas?

A gobo would probably work pretty well. Hell, maybe even something as simple as a bandanna over your face (cowboy style) or maybe a ski mask. Something to absorb the whistling until thing clear up.

The cough drops mention above might do the trick too, or maybe some decongestant?

-Wes

Back