Acoustic Critique Wanted

wfaraoni said:
Half Deaf man dissagrees with recording engineer GURU!!:D :D :D
You crack me up. I didn't even know we were disagreeing, so that'll tell you how sharp I am. And trust me dude, if you haven't figured out that I'm a total novice at this, just gimme' a couple of more song posts to prove it. I'm about 1 for 3 on the "Acceptable" to "Shitty" scale.

I honestly think both sound great...it's at the point of personal preference on the track as it is. I was just trying to think of a larger picture, b/c I know that the mixes I've heard from BPoco have been a lot more involved, so I figure he's trying to figure out the route to go in getting this to sit well in a mix. My personal experience (or lack of it) has shown me that I cannot have exactly what I want out of an acoustic guitar if I'm mixing it with a bass, b/c the low mids that sound so warm on the guitar when it is solo'd get smashed together with the same energy from the bass, and before long, it all sounds like absolute muddy garbage. If I want more of an acoustic warmness to come through, I leave the guitar alone and start jacking with the bass (bring its level down, cut the low mids, etc.)...which invariably brings about the "NOT ENOUGH BASS" comments...but even that, I think, is personal preference to a point. If you listen to some of B.SABBATH's tunes from a couple of months ago, there's usually plenty of low end, but not really a definable bass line...does it matter? To some, I guess. Most of my tunes just aren't "groove" oriented, so the actual instrument (bass) is less important to me than the levelness of the mix as a whole. That being said, when I DO want the bass to shine through, I have to cut a lot of lows out of the acoustics, b/c you don't need them...and they hurt the clarity of the mix.

But yeah, lol...you're exactly right...if you want the guitar to sound beefier, just turn up the beef in it...but keep in mind that you may have to eliminate some beef from another instrument for the overall effect to work.

and I'm an amateur posting on "homerecording.com," so take my tripe with a grain of salt, lol.

Post on,
Chris

I like the wfaraoni version better. It was way more intimate and organic. Someday, I hope to achieve a guitar sound this good. Great job!

Hey B,
......I dont know what version im listening to, .......but it sounds beautiful. I cant wait to hear the tune!!!
VERY sweet tone man. .......nice playing too :)
g

i just got done mixing around with my acoustic... so my comments would be biased, but I think it sounded pretty good... the highs were coming through maybe a little to much? yes... you did compress the guitar alot :) nice work!

bpoco: Thanks for the insight on the placement of the NT1. As far as minimizing the string noise I've heard folks cite various causes and cures....strings, the guitar itself, mic placement, playing technique and "all of the above". Personally I like a little string noise so things sound "real" or "live"...but not too much.

I'm not sure if this would help you but I've gotten very good results the last time recording acoustic tracks by doing the following: I placed a large condenser facing the sound board of the guitar just below and slightly behind the bridge (not a whole lot of string noise there ;) )....anywhere from 4-8 inches away (maybe closer)....every guitar has a sweet spot in that general area (low end) so have someone play the git and use your ear to find it and then put the mic there! The second mic (a smalll condenser omni) generally in the area of the 12th fret but again use your ear to find the spot where to place the mic in that area (high end) to get the sound you want with a minimal amount of string noise. Admittedly you'll need a second person to help you do this but it may be worth a try.

Last edited:
chrisharris/wfaraoni/twist

You're absolutely right. All things change once you start adding other stuff. Actually, I was leaning towards a simpler production on this tune. Possibly only vocal and guitar. That's why I wanted some early feedback from the board. I'd love to add some strings or just a cello, but I don't know any musicians that play them .... and I smashed my synth after my last post ... LOL.

MAC2

Thanks for the ideas. I've actually tried something similar to what you suggested. The problem I ran into was the NT1 seemed ultra sensitive. String noise was the least of my problems then ... I was actually picking up the rustling of my shirt ..... geez !!! When I moved it over my shoulder, it seemed to resolve that problem.

I checked out "Magic Ocean". I don't suppose you're the recording engineer mentioned on the "Jackson Daly" web site? I'll "wager" a bet you are. As far as guitar .... hmmmm .... a Taylor 410 with Elixer strings? Let me know if either of my guesses are correct.

By the way, I restrung my Taylor 410 this evening with Elixer mediums, and while I haven't recorded it yet, the string noise does seem much less obnoxious.

Erland/Sydfan/Guernica/JMarcomb

Thanks for listening and the feedback.

BPOCO - because I care DAMN IT !!!

both files were great. I'm envious, but do to my 80's upbringing (sorry:rolleyes: ) I dig the verb version (#1) myself.
Thanx for the inspiration.

ndxs: Hey I used to live in Pine Bush and worked in middletown. Im just ouside of Dallas Now.

bpoco: Im using elixers and I do think they help, besides they dont start to MEEOOWW for a much longer time.

I failed to mention that I am now using a roland mmp-2 mic modeling preamp. This thing really helps me. It would be an even bigger asset on vocals and has preset patches for all kinds of stuff like cello,oboe,bass drums, piano,sax, several vocal settings, some neat preamp types and others . You can custom taylor your mic's characteristics with it and well if your interested , do a search on mmp-2. I posted some stuff about it, americanmusical is selling b stock full warrantee 45 day refund policy for about $339 last time I checked. One of the great things Is that I can now record digital right from the mic,with its high quality a/d converter built in.

bpoco:"recording engineer" is a bit of a stretch but I took it as a compliment :D ......

There's actually two guitar tracks there using the same technique on each....one git is an Ovation and the other a Yamaha.

I definitely like the sound of your Taylor though (minus the string noise or rustling shirt of course :D )

Back