Acoustic Blues (Nylon String)...

true-eurt said:
bLUes baaay~beeeeee!!!
I went back and listened after reading Tim's post... Why can I not hear these things? :D
Didn't mean to imply that it sounded bad in any way... I think it sounds good. Just thinking of a way to differentiate the tone of the parts, and fattening up the lead might add something nice to the mix.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Didn't mean to imply that it sounded bad in any way... I think it sounds good. Just thinking of a way to differentiate the tone of the parts, and fattening up the lead might add something nice to the mix.

Tim
No, no, no, no, no.....

Tim, I wasn't implying that at all !!!! I think it is cool that some of you guys have this unique gift of listening !! I am miffed by the fact, that I did not catch the same things...UNTIL...you and others point it out!!! My remark was an edit that I put in AFTER I read the other post on Gorty's song. I usually won't read other perspectives of the tune, until I listen so as not to color what I hear. Then I go back and read the other critics, to notice that I don't hear a lot of what others do.

I respect your critic very much!! I am sorry you thought I meant it in a negative manner. I did not!! I do not always convey my thoughts as clearly as I should, I suppose. I just assume one kn0ws how I intend them...I must remember, we are on the net and you have no body language, facial features, or tone of voice to discern with!!! ;)

Love True....not hot lusty love...but nice friendly love...okay, maybe when you play all that hot classical headcutting, it is a bit of hot lusty love!! :eek: :D

Reactions: XLR
Nice playing and recording gorty!

So just out of curiosity, you are recording this through an amp and the sm57 is micing the amp? Or is the sm57 just pointing towards the strings and you are playing away? ;)

Either way, nice job man!

cincy_kid said:
Nice playing and recording gorty!

So just out of curiosity, you are recording this through an amp and the sm57 is micing the amp? Or is the sm57 just pointing towards the strings and you are playing away? ;)

Either way, nice job man!

Hey Cincy,

The guitar is a classical guitar, not a semi-acoustic, so I am playing away with the SM57 pointed at my guitar, no amp!

I had the mic about 2-3 inches away from the soundhole and last fret on the guitar!

Thanx for listening cincy_kid! :)

Gorty

well thats what I thought, but I thought you used sm57's for micing amps and if it was an acoustic or classical guitar you should use a condenser mic like my SP b-1 ;)

I am new and learning and trying to hear different styles.

Thanks again Gorty!

cincy_kid said:
well thats what I thought, but I thought you used sm57's for micing amps and if it was an acoustic or classical guitar you should use a condenser mic like my SP b-1 ;)

I am new and learning and trying to hear different styles.

Thanks again Gorty!

I only have 2 mics at present (Shure SM57/SM58) but a condenser mic is on my wish list! :)

Gorty :)

Thats some good playing :cool: I cant really do that, I suck at blues and "jamming" in general. Recordingwise its fine: Its fun and you get the point across. Very nice work. :cool:

DavidK said:
Thats some good playing :cool: I cant really do that, I suck at blues and "jamming" in general. Recordingwise its fine: Its fun and you get the point across. Very nice work. :cool:

Thanx for the kind words and your time taken too listen!

Cheers David! :)

Gorty

Gorty,
I particularly like the intro - the centre guitar reminds me of Marc Boland's take on boogie.
It also reminds me of Hot Tuna even though they played more slowly & didn't do such extended soloing.
The drums are sympathetic though I was left wondering how brushes would've sounded on the snare - not many machines give that option I know.
What sort of plectrum are you using? (had to ask a guitar question after all the previous Q's)
Cheers
rayC

rayc said:
Gorty,
I particularly like the intro - the centre guitar reminds me of Marc Boland's take on boogie.
It also reminds me of Hot Tuna even though they played more slowly & didn't do such extended soloing.
The drums are sympathetic though I was left wondering how brushes would've sounded on the snare - not many machines give that option I know.
What sort of plectrum are you using? (had to ask a guitar question after all the previous Q's)
Cheers
rayC

Thanx rayC for listening and commenting!
I use a .70mm Turtle pick on the lead guitar line, and I use a thinner pick for the rhythm guitars, around .30mm thick!

Thanx again rayC for your time! :)

Gorty

Hey Gorty,nice tune ya got here.Really like your tone on the solo's, very nice playing also.I was waiting for a wailing harmonica to pop up somewhere in there...has that vibe to it.Nice job!

variaxman said:
Hey Gorty,nice tune ya got here.Really like your tone on the solo's, very nice playing also.I was waiting for a wailing harmonica to pop up somewhere in there...has that vibe to it.Nice job!

Thanx variaxman for your inspirational comments!..I do appreciate the feedback and each and everyones opinions.
The harmonica you mentioned, funny enough I have a muso mate that is meaning to lay a track down for this tune and another I have in the works!...Good call!

Thanx again for listening variaxman! :)

Gorty

cincy_kid said:

Guess that just demonstrates how there is no magic formula to how you should do things. It can never hurt to try different types of mics on different sources and see what you come up with. In this case, the mic sounds great on this guitar, particularly on the rythm parts! Just an idea, but I'd like to hear what a bright LDC sounded like on the lead parts - I think that might be very effective. Love the sound of the rythm parts though, and wouldn't change a thing there.

Great jam Gorty! I really like the sound of that nylon guitar - gonna have to get me one of those some day!

JeffLancaster said:
Guess that just demonstrates how there is no magic formula to how you should do things. It can never hurt to try different types of mics on different sources and see what you come up with. In this case, the mic sounds great on this guitar, particularly on the rythm parts! Just an idea, but I'd like to hear what a bright LDC sounded like on the lead parts - I think that might be very effective. Love the sound of the rythm parts though, and wouldn't change a thing there.

Great jam Gorty! I really like the sound of that nylon guitar - gonna have to get me one of those some day!

Thanx Jeff,

I really enjoy playing the nylon string guitar, I just don't do it enough!

A condenser mic is on my list of "must get soon item!"

Thanx for your comments also Jeff, I appreciate it! :)

Gorty!

Last edited:
David Katauskas said:
Gorty, I tried listening, but it seems I'm the only one getting download errors. I'll try again in a bit, incase it's a server issue.
I couldnt get it either

I just checked everything with the link, it seems to be working!

I have loaded it onto my Soundclick page!

Click on link below!

Last edited:
Gorty I don't understand your avatar anymore but I'm realy enjoying this song! Gets me wagging my tail and biting random stuff :D Really though, this is top notch.
I'm new to recording acoustic, so mixwise it sounds real good to me... My only suggestion is IMO it just feels like something else is going to come in... like a bluesy screaming electric or harmonica or keyboard in the middle for a short time, then back to what you got. Don't get me wrong, sounds great the way it is too, just a thought!
Okay, back to wagging the tail :D

SnakeDog5050 said:
Gorty I don't understand your avatar anymore but I'm realy enjoying this song! Gets me wagging my tail and biting random stuff :D Really though, this is top notch.
I'm new to recording acoustic, so mixwise it sounds real good to me... My only suggestion is IMO it just feels like something else is going to come in... like a bluesy screaming electric or harmonica or keyboard in the middle for a short time, then back to what you got. Don't get me wrong, sounds great the way it is too, just a thought!
Okay, back to wagging the tail :D

Hey SnakeDude,

Don't go biting the furniture will ya! :D

A few comments have come my way in regards to the introduction of a harmonica, or electric guitar, so I am thinking of laying down a screaming electric or some honky tonk piano or something!
I think this will help break the monotony of the nylon string lead.

My avatar is a closeup of mx_mx's stomach bulging out of his jeans! :D

Thanx for your comments and your time to listen SnakeDude!..I appreciate it!

Gorty :)

Hey Gorty, this is great. I wouldn't even attempt to record an acoustic, let alone a nylon string. (Actually, I've tried which is why I know how hard it is). Everything sounds good here to me, even the drums (cymbals are a bit harsh but I love the snare). Great playing, too.

Back