Acoustic Bass.....pinions needed

Ears

ADA
Hey everyone.

I need some quick opinions on acoustic basses.
1) I am a guitar player, wanting something for my studio and possble in a duo, as well as a good sound unplugged.

2) Do you think they are versatile enough for most music?

3) Fender, Guild, Godin, Warwick and Taylor seem to make fine instruments for basses.

Help this six/twelve string player out.

Thanks.

Are we talking about a full-size stand-up bass, such as you might find in a jazz trio, or rockabilly band or an orchestra, or are we talking about a larger than large, play it like a guitar-type bass.

The stand-up bass is a wonderful, expressive instrument with a great sound for all of the above - it is also not something to be toyed with - being fretless, it requires considerable skill (not to mention practice) to be good at it.

The 'play it like a guitar' variety always seemed to me to be 'not-a-real-bass' but I've never worked with anyone who played one, so maybe I'm selling them short.

foo

No not upright. I love them but yes I would be a long time learning it. I respect the real players of that fine instrument.

No an acoustic guitar style bass.

I actually purchased an Ovation acoustic bass today.

It sounds beautiful. I do mainly acoustic music anmd I believe it will sit nice in my mix. I am a songwriter and performer and also run a 16track digital studio.
Thank you for your reply.

Back