Acoustic amplification

bicycleracer

Your assistance is appreciated,
I am needing to amplify my acoustic electric guitar and need a little help choosing. My budget is extremely tight for starters.
I own a hughes and Ketner BATT Tubed Base preamp and a 200 watt solid state PA amp. Together they work fine(or do they?) but I still need a 12" speaker cabinet. Looks like I can get a Marshall for about $125 used. This equates to a cumbersome $125 system that has no built in effects, etc.
My other option option is to buy a combo amp. There is a Marshall 30watt unit at the local pawn shop for $175. It looks to be in good shape and I can have a listen as I get closer to a choos'n time.

One other question, since I will only be amping an acoustic 6 string and a 12 string, do I need an acoustic specific amp?

Your thoughts appreciated,
Bicycle racer

Last edited:
bicycleracer said:
...Since I will only be amping an acoustic 6 string and a 12 string, do I need an acoustic specific amp?

Yes.

Don't assume an electric guitar amp will give you good results with an acoustic guitar. You'll get mud. You're looking for nothing greater than 12" woofers here, and the amp should be voiced like a P.A. The good news is that you have much of what you probably would need. Since you have a PA head / amp, maybe the way to go is to get a decent speaker cab (or pair) to run from it. Then you need a preamp / blender / eq on the other end to toy with the guitar sound until you like it.

Do you have a stage mixer? There's a source of eq. and perhaps a preamp. Mackies are ubiquitous, but there are a bunch of decent used units out there. Behringer is cheap, but tends not to last as long. Might be the ticket to get you running, though. A DI/style mixer is about $60.

If you're looking for a combo unit, check out Yorkville, builders of good acoustic amps / cabs. www.yorkville.com Carvin has a decent box called the AG100 for about $450. www.carvin.com

I run a signal through a Presonus AcoustiQ blender / tube preamp / eq into a mixing board that feeds a pair of powered Mackie cabs. Good sound, a bit pricey if all you want is an acoustic rig. www.presonus.com

If you can swing $300 for a preamp, it's hard to beat the Raven PMB-1. www.raven-labs.com Other makers are Fishman, L.R.Baggs, and so on.

Check out the prices for some of this stuff at 8th street and Musicians Friend to get an idea of a budget.

www.8thstreet.com
www.musiciansfriend.com

Thanks!

Treeline,
hmm, an answer that saves me dough! I can spend more on a better 12 string in that case. Happy day.
I do wish the setup I have was less cumbersome, but I can manage.
Cheers!
Bicycle racer

Back