Acoustic # 3 - I Want To Learn

Pro's

1. Good composition
2. Good vocal harmony
3. Good musicianship
4. Lots of potential
Con's

1. Brightness of acoustic draws too much attention to itself. Picking sound too prominent, overshadows the body of the guitar. Needs more compression with quicker attack and if it is double tracked, I can't tell. Double track it and pan the tracks hard left and right.
2. Vocals should be more breathy and a little less muddy ...try +3 @ 12K , +3 @ 5K and -3 at 300hz
3. Piano sits in the middle of the mix and gets stepped on by the rest of the song. You could use delay to widen it. It could be a little brighter sounding too.
4. The rimshot should switch to snare during chorus for contrast. Needs more reverb since this is a ballad.
5. Bass guitar is too timid. Boost 40hz and compress it some more or use a limiter.
6. Ride cymbol should be panned to the left, too much happening in the center.

Rock on!

Great harmonies as usual with your tunes. High quality everything on this one - songwriting, performance, everything. I like the way this one builds with the guitars and drums coming in. You can really feel the emotion. Ballads usually have the potential to seem whiney to me, but this one was totally heartfelt, honest, and perfect. I listened to it several times.

On second listen, I heard the second piano panned on the chorus - I liked how it was very subtle but added to the song nicely.

The only suggestion I might have is either try a little more reverb on the main vocals, or if you want to keep it dry maybe try recording it a little more forward somehow - if that makes sense - maybe close mic it? I dunno. Sounds great as is though. Nice work!

I remember this song from when I first found this place. It had to be 6 months ago now.
I really liked this song when I first heard it.
This retracked version is great.
Kaos may have something there about alternating the rimshot for a snare going into the chorus.
This whole "doubling" of guitar tracks doesn't appeal.
Use 2 mikes on the acoustic and record a stereo trak.
This is a really fine recording though, I like it as is.

KaosTheory2.0 - Some excellent suggestions there, thx for listening. I really like the snare in the chorus idea

Paco - Oh now you want reverb! :D Thanks for listening man, vocals can be a bit** sometimes.

HevyD47Ca - Thx HevyD. Now there's something I haven't tried, two mics and record a stereo track. I have to try that soon, thx for the suggestion.

Back