Acid/Sound Forge

zelmobeaty

If you own both Acid and Sound Forge, is there any good reason for using the effects plug ins directly in Acid?

Doesn't it save processing power to export the files to Sound Forge, edit, and then open back in Acid?

Another question:
Say I edit a vocal file in sound Forge with compression. Then when I open it back in Acid for my final mix, I decide i don't like it. Is the first compression setting permanent? Or can I open back in Sound Forge and change the compression?

Much obliged.

If you own both Acid and Sound Forge, is there any good reason for using the effects plug ins directly in Acid?
Staying in one environment, and being able to use envelopes.

Doesn't it save processing power to export the files to Sound Forge, edit, and then open back in Acid?
No doubt.
Say I edit a vocal file in sound Forge with compression. Then when I open it back in Acid for my final mix, I decide i don't like it. Is the first compression setting permanent? Or can I open back in Sound Forge and change the compression?
I think if you make the change in SF, and save it, and then go back into ACID, it tells you a file has changed and asks if you want to replace the original, or something to that effect. If you say yes, you are commiting to the change that was made offline. You might be able to roll back by returning to SF and undoing and resaving the file, but I'm not sure this works...

Alchuck;

Thanks for your help. it was only lately that I realized that Sound Forge didn't use the plug in each time the file is opened. I'll be more careful in my effects from now on.

Chuck

zelmobeaty,

I try to do most things in SF first because of exactly the issue you bring up. Doing it real time uses a lot more processing power and the latency in Acid really goes down the drain.

However, loops don't always lend themselves very well to preprocessing. Reverb and delay, for example trail off when the sound ends. It's a completely different effect when you add these real time as apposed to truncating the tails in SF in order to get a seamless loop.

On the other hand, if you add echo in SF and the delay time is set to compliment the rhythm of the loop, it will automatically adjust when you change tempo in Acid because the delay is part of the loop. When you add the echo real time in Acid you have to recalculate the delay every time you change tempo. Btw, I always save a copy of the original sample before I tweak in any wave editor.

My point is, each method has it's place depending on what you're going for.

barefoot

Ps. It's good to see a fellow Pittsburgher here! I grew up in Turtle Creek, and did both my graduate and undergrad studies a Pitt.

How'r yunz guys dewin' ov'r there? :D

Last edited:
Hi zelmobeaty,

If you edit or process a file in Sound Forge and then save and close that file, the changes are permanent. It's always best to keep a copy of the original so you can go back to it if you need to.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power!, Sound Forge Power!, and SONAR Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Duh!

Do now I reckon I know the advantage to using the effects directly in Acid. It gives you the opportunity to change your mind!

Thanks everyone.

Back